positraction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomboom baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys need help I want positraction in my 01 hoe what all do I need to make this happen and can posi be put in how do I tell what rear end I have already in guessing 3.73 but don't know

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can find out what gears you have by checking the rpo sticker in the glovebox;
GU4 3.08 RATIO
GU5 3.23 RATIO
GU6 3.42 RATIO
GT4 3.73 RATIO
GT5 4.10 RATIO

If you don't have the g80 posi unit, you'll have to buy a unit for gm 8.5/8.6 10 bolt, along with new bearings and races.

OP
OP
boomboom baker

boomboom baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this mourning I pulled up on another guy in a Tahoe it might have been the same year as mine maybe an 03-04 anyway I asked him if he wants to race he said okay light turns green we gun it man he left me like I was sitting still be I noticed both back tires were spinning at the same time that posi right I mean smoke was boiling from the and also he had that engine wine oh shit supercharger my question is can I buy the guts to make mine posi or do I have to buy a whole rear end I have 3.42 now what all do I need to have both tires spin at same time just like the dude who blew my doors off this mourning that was a sleeper because it was stock outside stock wheels everything

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wonder what his back tires look like and how many gallons of he burnt tires are expensive you dont wanna be "that guy"
hes probably got the same rear end you do maybe a 4.10 you dont need a diff locker to break both wheels loose like that what breaks both wheels loose like that on dry pavement is lowend horsepower
posi traction is the same thing as limited slip diff and all available diffs on the tahoe and suburban are all LSD
PosiTraction was GM's trademark name for there limited slip differentials in the 60s
now what you mite be thinkin of is whats called a differential locker wich locks the diff so both wheels spin the same speed which is not recomended for use one pavement wich is why they usually have an electronic solenoid that disengages it when your on hte street

hoss08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this mourning I pulled up on another guy in a Tahoe it might have been the same year as mine maybe an 03-04 anyway I asked him if he wants to race he said okay light turns green we gun it man he left me like I was sitting still be I noticed both back tires were spinning at the same time that posi right I mean smoke was boiling from the and also he had that engine wine oh shit supercharger my question is can I buy the guts to make mine posi or do I have to buy a whole rear end I have 3.42 now what all do I need to have both tires spin at same time just like the dude who blew my doors off this mourning that was a sleeper because it was stock outside stock wheels everything

You could essentially take the "guts" out of a unit with LSD and put it into yours. It's a little more complex than just bolting it in though. Secondly the G80 unit that comes from the factory isn't the best in terms of strength. Check out a trutrac unit from Detroit. Drop in a set of 4:10s maybe 4:56s along with it and you'll have no problem rolling smoke off the tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JimB-MN

Latest posts