Popping Noise Emitting From Front of '04 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zweller09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After not driving my Tahoe for 3 days, I started it up and within a few seconds of putting it in reverse, there was a loud noise (not the popping noise that I will bring up) that emitted from the front of the truck. It was quick but loud… quick enough that I can’t really describe it, but not normal. I bring that up because this “popping” noise has come up only twice and both times it started with a loud, abrupt noise.

I have read and searched about the issue but I am still unsure. This pooping noise also emits from what seems to be the front part of the truck and was kind of a subtle noise that would not be detectible with the radio on. However, without the radio the popping noise is noticeable and pretty random. Whenever I would it a bump, it seemed to make the pooping more constant. In the few discussions I have read, it was a common problem while turning and/or if you had a lift on your truck. I have a factory lift and have only heard the popping while driving straight. I have also read about this kind of issue as reoccurring every time the vehicle is in use. I have only heard this noise twice in the past two weeks, and I drive it daily (aside from this weekend).

I am pretty busy and haven’t had a great deal of time to really search this issue adequately, so if this matches the issue of another form post I apologize and a link to it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
OP
zweller09

zweller09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could you clarify: Does the noise only occur in reverse? Or is reverse one of multiple conditions you can replicate the noise?

Are you in 4wd when it occurs?

What have you checked so far?
The popping occurs in drive not reverse from what I’ve experienced. The first initial loud noise occurred when I put the truck in reverse. I haven’t checked anything due to lack of time, nor do I know where to start.

OP
OP
zweller09

zweller09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd start with some basic sanity checks on the driveline

Inspect u-joints, slip yoke, bushings, CV axles for rotational freeplay.
I forgot to add that I was in 2WD. Thank you, I appreciate the time! I will check those when I can and follow up.

OP
OP
zweller09

zweller09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I briefly checked it out, everything seemed okay. No noise since that one drive. Weird how only happens every now and then.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t get over the fact the noise went from pooping to popping a couple times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505