PoPoPPV 1996 Yukon 2DR Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoPoPPV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought her from a note lot off Craigslist. The seller claimed she started life as 1 owner, Grandma's grocery hauler and kid taxi in North Richland Hills, Texas. (**More on that at the end of this post).

I flew to DFW Airport on a Sunday morning, took a cab to meet the seller, and drove her home that same day. I had searched a long time for a local 2 DR Tahoe or Yukon, but the selection was slim to say the least. The truck was pretty clean and the original owner had recently installed a new GM transmission. The seller even had a receipt for the work.

The passenger door had been repainted after a minor incident with another Grandma at HEB. Not the best color match, but it was close, so I was happy.

Originally, I was looking for a cloth interior 4X4, but when this one popped up I grabbed it. Here are the original pictures of the truck that Sunday I picked her up. The truck had 196K miles on the odometer when I drove it home.

CLykn 001.jpg
CLykn 003.jpg CLykn 002.jpg CLykn 004.jpg

** After a quick stop at RaceTrac for gas, and an ever quicker once over of the interior, I found a baggy of weed in the rear cup holder of the center console. Damn, Grandma's weed got tossed!:D

OP
OP
PoPoPPV

PoPoPPV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I got it back to the shop in Lubbock. I started to transform the truck into a 16 year old teenager's dream. This truck was for my Son, who was a freshman in High School.

The first order of business was too remove the exterior moldings and trim. I used a drill and a eraser wheel. I got a little heavy handed on the passenger door and rear quarter. It was my first experience with removing trim like this so I was not very good at it. I should of used my Uncle YouTube for help, but I thought "how hard can this be".... yep. :mad:

So, after a little lite body work and repaint, I was good to go. I shot the repair area only, in hindsight I should have shot the whole door. Duh, I was there already!

December010.jpg December011.jpg December014.jpg December015.jpg December013.jpg

OP
OP
PoPoPPV

PoPoPPV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that the exterior moldings & trim have been removed, and my mistake was corrected I was ready for the Bushwacker OEM Style Matte Black Fender Flares, Pacer wheels and new Goodyear tires. I have a friend at a local tire shop that sold me the wheels at cost and gave me the set of tires.

December1.jpg December2.jpg December3.jpg December4.jpg

OP
OP
PoPoPPV

PoPoPPV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yukondone 006.jpg December9.jpg December8.jpg

I re-purposed the stock wheels and old tires, I gave them to a guy at the shop that needed a set for rollers at his paint shop.

OP
OP
PoPoPPV

PoPoPPV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I detailed of the interior I was almost there! The inside looked as good as the outside. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the interior.

Yukondone 020.jpg Yukondone 019.jpg Yukondone 018.jpg Yukondone 021.jpg Yukondone 022.jpg

OP
OP
PoPoPPV

PoPoPPV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The finished product. I added a chrome, locking gas cap cover and the chrome OEM GM chrome exhaust tip, Z71 decals and Texas Edition emblems.

I did take some liberties with the Z71 decals and Texas Edition emblems and badges, but my kid loved it. It was well worth the time and investment.

Yukondonenew3.jpg YukondoneNew1.jpg Yukondonenew6.jpg Yukondonenew7.jpg Yukondonenew4.jpg

OP
OP
PoPoPPV

PoPoPPV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Came a long way from the first image to the last, and the total build took about two weeks, working on it after hours and weekends! I kept it in the shop the whole time and surprised him with it Christmas morning.

From the start, the engine and transmission ran very well. At one point I had the 2001 Yukon XL, the 2006 PPV and this Yukon. The Yukon ran better and pulled stronger than the other two. It truly was a great truck!

It served me well for many years and held its value. When I sold it I got all of my money back, plus some. So I got the best of both worlds... I got to drive this thing for a long time and made my money back when I sold it!

CLykn 002.jpg YukondoneNew1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900