Poll

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Tahoe LT rwd. I'm about to aquire a 2002 Z71 Suburban that I plan to part out, but I'm going to take all the 4wd parts and make my Tahoe 4wd. I'm lucky my brother is genius mechanic! So my question is: how far would I need to go after giving my Tahoe all the Z71 4x4 parts, to be able to give it a Z71 badge? I already know the roof rack is a dead giveaway. I really want the beefier Z71 rack anyway and do plan to swap. I've already swapped my lower front bumper valance or w.e to the Z71 with round fog lights. I'm not a fan of badging cars or trucks with fake stuff (ex.: Turbo badge on a base model Civic when it's slow and no sounds of a turbo. Please...) but there has to be a point after swapping enough or all the correct parts to be ok, right? Please chime in with your thoughts.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are mounts on the 4x4 frame that the 2wd frame doesnt have. And im fairly sure it is a pretty in depth process to mount that stuff. It will probably be easier to get a 4x4 tahoe that is rotted out and move your body on to it.

And as for a true z71 i think it is just rear springs, front torsion bars, shocks and maybe the air box are different.
I dont count things like step bars and air dams. Because if you were to offroad it and rip one of those off, it doesnt become a base model because the air dam is gone.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Tahoe LT rwd. I'm about to aquire a 2002 Z71 Suburban that I plan to part out, but I'm going to take all the 4wd parts and make my Tahoe 4wd. I'm lucky my brother is genius mechanic! So my question is: how far would I need to go after giving my Tahoe all the Z71 4x4 parts, to be able to give it a Z71 badge? I already know the roof rack is a dead giveaway. I really want the beefier Z71 rack anyway and do plan to swap. I've already swapped my lower front bumper valance or w.e to the Z71 with round fog lights. I'm not a fan of badging cars or trucks with fake stuff (ex.: Turbo badge on a base model Civic when it's slow and no sounds of a turbo. Please...) but there has to be a point after swapping enough or all the correct parts to be ok, right? Please chime in with your thoughts.
:popcorn:I'm going to take all the 4wd parts and make my Tahoe 4wd :popcorn:
lol

OP
OP
Electrician

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I realize the roof rack is longer. And the drive shaft won't work either. I didn't realize there is extra body mounts. I'm relying on my brother with this project. He's the mechanic so he's the one quarterbacking this. I'm an Electrician. I do what I know and try not to get in over my head

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I realize the roof rack is longer. And the drive shaft won't work either. I didn't realize there is extra body mounts. I'm relying on my brother with this project. He's the mechanic so he's the one quarterbacking this. I'm an Electrician. I do what I know and try not to get in over my head
Yeah it is pretty involved man. Like professional builders dont even do a 2wd to 4x4 swap. They get a 4x4 frame and swap good 2wd bodies onto the good frame.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the ifs it will be difficult. But it MAY be easier if he was doing a SAS.
way too much work, I guess if you are extremely bored and want to tear 2 vehicles a apart and have a lift and every tool you can imagine and a welder and knowledge of the electrical work needed, hey why not. If I wanted 4wd that bad though I would sell the 2wd and just go buy a 4wd, less money and time involved. I see them for sale almost every single day here, no rust. I could sell the wifes 2wd and turn right around and buy a 4wd for the same price and be done with it.
this is one of those things were you have to take a look at reality and go WTF was I thinking?
not saying it can't be done but holy cow no
if the z71 is so trashed that it's only parts then you probably do not want to use the transmission, which means you have to swap parts from the transmissions, then you have to mount the transfer case and front diff, this probably means swapping other parts as well in the front suspension, then you have to take out both wiring harness and unravel all that and figure out what needs to be moved over including all the inside harness for the 4wd switch and cluster or "maybe" swap the whole harness over if you are lucky and they are very similar trim level, then you can probably swap the computers and do a relearn to the vin, fluids, alignment, figure out the correct torsion bar settings otherwise it's going to handle terrible. probably missing a few things but still way too much work when you could just go buy one 4wd already

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas