Poll: Do you burn oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02 yuk 4x4 5.3
187k miles
Don’t think it burns oil but it does leak, about 1 qt/3000 miles ( my oci )
Valvoline high mileage synth blend 5w-30.
Variable habits depending if on call out duty or just going to store.

SMonaldo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
had an 06 Impala SS with 100k, used synthetic from new, 2 qts per 5k miles starting at about 80K
07 Trailblazer 6Cyl, 208K miles, always Synthetic, started using about 2-3 qts between changes at about 180K.....switched to conventional as per mechanic recommendation. Better for high mileage engines

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'07 Tahoe 5.3 4X4
309k original motor, trans, transfer, front diff, junkyard replaced rear axle at 200K
Burns and leaks motor oil, about 1-2 quarts a month, more in the colder weather. Trans-transfer-front diff not a drop, rear diff l/r axle seal weeping.
Castrol GTX Ultraclean 5W30 & 1 QT Lucas oil every 3000 miles
Habits: %75 round town, 25% highway. Textbook driver, like to take it easy, light pedal, use the torque. I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere, I love just driving. When the road ragers start their shit I kick it in the ass a bit when needed. Also tow a boat almost everyday a few miles to the local ramp and back.

isp5190

Reaction score
Just a plug of curiosity. Please post:

Vehicle year/engine
Mileage
Oil used
Oil burned/time
Oil change interval
Driving habits

2009/5.3
Castrol High Mileage
1 qt every 1200 to 1400 miles
both city and highway 50/50

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 6.0 LFA (Hybrid AFM/DOD) 198,000 miles (recently acquired)
Added 1 quart of oil over first 1200 miles that I have driven it. (was down 1 quart) I changed the drivers side valve cover but was already the new design. Previous owner could not remember if it had been done or not and no record of it with maintenance records........
Currently has valvoline syn sticker on windshield from last owner. I am going to use M1 and AC Delco filter probably changing next day or 2.
Plan is to use a 3000 mile or less oil change interval for the next several changes to try to clear up the oil sludge residue found inside drivers side valve cover. Previous owner (one family owned vehicle) swears they always used synthetic and changed by maintenance schedule. I saw some oil change receipts that had over 10k between changes so they were obviously going by the OLM. I think we can all see by the valve cover interior pic below that the OLM is way too long of an interval to prevent sludge buildup????
I like the 5,000 or less oil change interval no matter what the silly OLM readout says. Keeping in mind this is the Two Mode Hybrid system with autostop so that may contribute to the sludge issue also?
On driving I tend to drive normal most of the time with occasional "Italian tune ups" mostly highway miles with some city stop and go.
IMG_6765.jpg

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicle year/engine: '02 Tahoe 5.3 Flex Fuel, 350,000 miles!
Mileage: 12-13 (oversized tires and lots of extra weight)
Oil used: 5w30 winter, 10w30 summer. Always full synthetic. Mobile 1 unless I find a deal on another brand. Mobil 1 filter.
Oil burned/time: ~1qt in 5,000 miles. Most of this is leaking not burning I think. Rear main leaks a lot, I like to say the coating under the car protects from rust...
Oil change interval: 5000, or when the light comes on(ish). It's synthetic so I'm not worried going a bit over 3K, but I like to keep it clean. I run a can of seafoam in the crankcase every couple changes for a few miles to really clean it out.
Driving habits: Mixed. Some off road, lots of country 2 lane. I certainly don't baby it.

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mes first

I know a guy that only does his oil changes after 5k miles even if it takes over a year, its a 5.3 and it had 270k original tranny and engine makes me think the worse you maintain them the more they last. THINKING FACE

I think these engines live off the crap they build up over time. I run some seafoam to clean it out occasionally, but the thing hasn't been touched other than that in 350K. Even when it has "problems" it usually still runs fantastic through whatever shit is broken... My theory is whatever tolerances have opened up are made up for by a solid layer of sludge, and I'm fine with that tbh.

Maybe this is flawed logic, but I feel like it helps to take it out and really hammer on it occasionally too. I'll dump some injector cleaner or seafoam in a mostly empty tank and go have some fun for an hour to really blast out anything crapping up the injectors. Say what you will, but after 350K, I'm not about to change my habits that seem to be working.

TysonTrost

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
06 Yukon 5.3
Burns a little less than a quart a month and maybe a little leak too. At start up I smoke out my fellow employees at the metal shop! Occasionally...
202,913mi

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Yukon Denali LQ4 167K I have had the truck for 1.5 years. unknown service record or ownership count prior.
OCI - Based off the DIC. I usually get about 6 months out of a change. I do an additional change at the end of summer. (Phoenix, Az)
Oil used - I am no loyalist. I usually get the best deal on 5w-30 full syn. I've used Amazon basics, Mobil, Penzoil, Oreilly brand.
Filter - AcDelco or Bosch
Usage - Pan Gasket has a decent leak, probably 1-2 quarts between changes. Will be going in for that repair this winter. I hate leaky vehicles. I do not suspect it burning oil.
Driving habit - it's the family wagon so I try to be easy on it, but I am not afraid to get into the throttle if the situation warrants.

If I am low and coming up on an oil change, I am not afraid to top off with some ATF to try to battle some of the sludge accumulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645