Please advise on 02 Tahoe Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4merRunner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
(I originally posted this in the wrong sub-forum).

I have driven Toyota's (cars and 4Runner) for over fifteen years. Unfortunately, my 4Runner is totaled and I'm looking for a reliable SUV to replace it. Coming across older model 4Runner's are very hard. I've found a 2002 Chevy Tahoe with 105k miles.

It needs aesthetic TLC, refurb leather (front seats and arm rest), some of the buttons are worn (back seat controls), and the front bumper is not in place and the bottom lights below the bumper need to be replaced. I noticed the security light comes on when turning on the vehicle. The A/C blows but it is not real cold. When the engine is running and the A/C is on, you can hear a ticking noise. The sunroof cover is "stuck". I'm taking it in for diagnostics to have a better idea of any mechanical issues.

So, with regular maintenance and doing any recommended repairs per the diagnostics, could the vehicle last say another 100,000 to 150,000 miles. I'd appreciate any feedback from owners who bought a Tahoe second hand. What are some major repairs I should expect to make (and approximate costs)?

Thanks

4merRunner

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Might need a new AC compressor, hard to say from the description, though they do make some noises normally.

Worn buttons are normal. Don't think it'd really be worth trying to replace them, but maybe that's me.

But...it does sound like it has it's share of actual issues. Not sure what's up with the bumper. If the fog lights under the bumper are toast, it may have been in a collision. In addition to the diagnostics run a Carfax check. The mileage is ok by itself, but if it has a lot of little issues it suggests to me it wasn't maintained correctly to begin with, which could lead to catastrophic failures.

I'd play it cautiously and have everything checked thoroughly.

OP
OP

4merRunner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I ran the CarFax: clean title, no accidents, and no inspection issues. I couldn't get the diagnostics today, but I had a mechanic due a quick check. The mechanic said the noises I heard probably come from the plastic injectors. He lifted the hood and the engine was dry. He recommended removing the sunroof cover because it is off-track.

The tread on the tires are decent. After a test drive, the A/C did blow cooler but it may could use freon. I think it's a good deal and I can buy at a good price. I plan to buy a new battery, and the recommended 90,000 mile service. Over the next 12-15 months I will replace tires, timing belt and any other recommendations from the diagnostic.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Also, I'll probably activate the OnStar, but I wanted to get feedback on user's impressions (helpful or a waste of $$$)...

Thanks

bikerglasses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No timing belt, it's a timing chain so it doesn't need to be worried about.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
OnStar is probably a waste of money, but I have it activated anyway as my "just in case" backup. I've used the phone a couple of times in areas up here where there is no cell connection, so it does have it's uses.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the truck has issues. the ac could either be a simple recharge or you might be footing the compressor. the buttons are normal they wear out and lights burn out. the bumper sounds like someone hit something and never fixed it. the ticking could be normal also these motors make small valve train noises at idle. not depending on how loud the tick is could tell if its normal or might actually be an issue. these trucks tend to last a long time my yukon has 128k and runs flawless. if your not getting this truck for a good price id be walking away. IMHO

edit : just read your update sounds like the ac just needs to be recharged is right. on star is pretty useless IMO. i havnt even hit the button once and ive had my silverado since 07

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I ran the CarFax: clean title, no accidents, and no inspection issues. I couldn't get the diagnostics today, but I had a mechanic due a quick check. The mechanic said the noises I heard probably come from the plastic injectors. He lifted the hood and the engine was dry. He recommended removing the sunroof cover because it is off-track.

The tread on the tires are decent. After a test drive, the A/C did blow cooler but it may could use freon. I think it's a good deal and I can buy at a good price. I plan to buy a new battery, and the recommended 90,000 mile service. Over the next 12-15 months I will replace tires, timing belt and any other recommendations from the diagnostic.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Also, I'll probably activate the OnStar, but I wanted to get feedback on user's impressions (helpful or a waste of $$$)...

Thanks

To me personally, OnStar is a waste of money. Had it activated for a while and NEVER used it.

OP
OP

4merRunner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's feedback. This is my first American vehicle and I probably had cold feet. As far as the Onstar, I would have preferred it was functional but I'll survive; I'll probably get a Viper and maybe add the FMV service later. I look forward to making the purchase and I hope with good care that the truck will take care of me in return.

I never got around to doing any mods on my 4Runner but I look forward to spucing up the Tahoe (full detail, new lights, back-up camera, side mirrors with turn signals, refurb leather on the driver and passenger seats).

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the A/C works when driving but not at idle you need a new fan clutch.

I would recommend trying to find at least an 03, the interior is miles better than the 00-02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65