Plastidipped My Grille Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what the final product is going to be, so I figured plastidip was a good place to start. I bought a used chrome LTZ grille off CL, then took it apart and dipped the surround and emblem. Then I took off my own black grille and switched the mesh out, so I have one all-chrome grille/emblem and one all-black. The plastidip was easy to work with, and came out pretty well. I made the mistake of leaving the tape on too long after spraying, and when I took it off some of the dip peeled, but a quick touch-up fixed it. The hardest part of the process was taking apart the two grilles. For help, I used this thread:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19817

Great write up. After trying a few different tools and methods, I found that having a really small flathead screwdriver was helpful in prying some of the black plastic back from the chrome clips. Other than that, Brad (sensinitas) nailed it. Here's a couple of pics. Excuse the dead bug situation; I hit a hatch on the way home last night.

S2290008.jpg

S2290006.jpg

I've got a color dip coming today or tomorrow, and I think I may get some glossifier for the surround, but I won't be taking it out again; I'll probably just tape and spray. Tell me what you think guys!

Side note: I threw some tire shine on for some self respect, but mostly for a few certain individuals on this forum...ha!!!

Dizigidy

Reaction score
plasti-dip quick tip: when you're ready to remove the tape, apply more plasti-dip to the area where you are removing tape. so that it is wet while you peel the tape back. plasti-dip is formulated to lay flat on itself so there are no runs.

nice job vtburban, your truck looks great! oh, and plast-dip also makes a glossifier clear coat to turn their matte colors glossy :)

Last edited:

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Why don't you plastidip the center caps to your rims so you are completed blacked out?

OP
OP
VTburban

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plasti-dip quick tip: when you're ready to remove the tape, apply more plasti-dip to the area where you are removing tape. so that it is wet while you peel the tape back. plasti-dip is formulated to lay flat on itself so there are no runs.

That's a great call man, I'll have to do that when I do the badging on the side! :Handshake:

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

nice job vtburban, your truck looks great! oh, and plast-dip also makes a glossifier clear coat to turn their matte colors glossy :)

I actually created a thread asking folks if they tried this..have you?

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Nice! Why don't you plastidip the center caps to your rims so you are completed blacked out?

Thanks Felix...I guess I kinda like the look of my buddy's stock PPV, and although its different, it's more the same? So yeah I need coffee. :Caffeine: