Pioneer vs Kenwood vs Other...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

neumanngroup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Alpine looks cool. I guess for some crazy reason I am really digging the navigation units that show the speed limit of where you are. The Sony does that but the reviews are horrible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

neumanngroup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have another question. If I add a new head unit, will that improve the sound in my car? I have noticed that the stock audio is not that good.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have another question. If I add a new head unit, will that improve the sound in my car? I have noticed that the stock audio is not that good.

There's a bunch of things that depend on your sound quality. Radio, amp (factory or aftermarket) and speakers.

It's possible that it could be 1, 2 or all 3 of those things. I would first start at the radio. Then the speakers, and finally putting a good small amp on them.

randuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Kenwood Excelon 9980HD and it is mostly great. The Nav is awesome and the menu is easy to guide.

With that said I don't think I could recommend this HU based on the speed of the processor. Going from menu item to menu item or song to song is sometimes dreadfully slow. I really think there is a hamster (on his last legs) powering this unit.

If I were to buy another HU I would think twice about it.

I don't know if the same applies to the 6190HD but from what I heard its what I have but worse....

Just my .02

johnsoex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pioneer AVIC 930BT with a Metra 100 harness (google Axxess wire harnesses) to keep Onstar, turn signal chime, steering wheel controls, rear view cam, and rear entertainment system. You can bypass the parking brake sensor so you can enter addresses and dial phone numbers while in motion. Search it on you tube. Don't buy the pioneer iPhone chord. You can buy them on eBay for $15, as opposed to $65. Blue tooth is loud and clear.

Don't use the VSS wire as this was messing with the GPS location. The unit is more accurate without it hooked up. We put the GPS antenna in the stock location (under the forward most panel on the dash).

Way better than the stock Bose unit. Understand that if you have the Bose, you will need to replace all the door speakers as the Bose speakers have odd impedance's/OHM's. May as well add an amp under the rear seat. I have a JL HD 900/5 and it runs the whole system nice. Focal 6.5s components in the front and rear and a single JL 12w6v2 in a ported box to JL specs and it's plenty loud.

Hope this helps.

Summit 700

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed a Kenwood6980. I love it, does everything I need it too and more. My only complaint is that it is sometimes slow to change from one function to the next. I chose Kenwood because it uses Garmin GPS which I really like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts