Pickup to XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went from a crew cab Silverado to a Yukon and a utility trailer. Wont go back to the pickup. I find the 4 or 5 times a year I need a pickup I just use the $800 trailer. Love the comfort and being able to keep the items inside and dry in the Yukon.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn't much that I cannot do with my XL for carrying payload and people. I've used it for 4x8 sheets of plywood and studs, etc. There are times when height may be a limiting factor, and for those rare occasions, I borrow my son's pickup.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your needs I can't haul all my yard waste to the dump in my xl without trashing it, no place to store a trailer, a pickup always comes in handy

Yeah, yard waste would be a problem in an XL, without trashing it. I'm fortunate to have enough property to throw the yard waste out at the back of the property and then use it for compost 3 years later.

OP
OP
Tommyb80

Tommyb80

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies folks. I'm a school teacher that has a side business doing mobile laser tag in the summer/weekends when the weather cooperates. As of now, when I have all the stuff (I have a business partner who has a minivan and all the stuff fits in there) I take the trailer because it's just easier to load the stuff in there and get out quickly after a party. Plus if it rains the stuff is dry anyway inside the trailer. Even with an XL I'd still take the trailer. We've done many events/parties with our electronics inside the trailer which has saved our butts and allowed us to keep the party/event going despite weather.

It would be great to keep both but my truck just sits anyway now because I bought a gas saver. I don't really have room for another trailer but have a buddy right by me who has a small 5x10 or something like that which I could access whenever.

Keep the replies coming!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies folks. I'm a school teacher that has a side business doing mobile laser tag in the summer/weekends when the weather cooperates. As of now, when I have all the stuff (I have a business partner who has a minivan and all the stuff fits in there) I take the trailer because it's just easier to load the stuff in there and get out quickly after a party. Plus if it rains the stuff is dry anyway inside the trailer. Even with an XL I'd still take the trailer. We've done many events/parties with our electronics inside the trailer which has saved our butts and allowed us to keep the party/event going despite weather.

It would be great to keep both but my truck just sits anyway now because I bought a gas saver. I don't really have room for another trailer but have a buddy right by me who has a small 5x10 or something like that which I could access whenever.

Keep the replies coming!

Ditch the daily and the 1-ton and get a 1/2-ton pickup or wagon. You and your family are safer in the truck. Like the idea of the trailer to keep gear in, keep it.

jcb2

Reaction score
Anybody go from a pickup truck to a Yukon XL? Had a truck most of my life but really don't have a need for it anymore and with my wife, little guy, and 108lb Weim/Choc Lab mix it would be nice to have the extra space for long trips. I figure I can tow my small enclosed trailer if I need to haul larger stuff around.
I drove my ‘78 Ford F-150 for 300K then bought a Suburban new in ‘94. My reason was that I wanted to securely keep my tools and things in the back out of the weather. I towed a boat and a large box trailer. I traded it in at 300K for a preowned ‘07 Yukon XL with 50K miles on it. I recently traded that in for a ‘19 Suburban.

The point is I swapped driving a P/U for a Suburban 25 years ago and would never go back! Note that Suburbans / Yukon XLs can still haul full 4’ x 8’ sheets of plywood inside. For boards over 10 ft., I just open the hatch or tie it to the roof rack.

jcb2

Reaction score
Does it matter if I have both a truck and a Denali XL? I would say that if all I had was the SUV, I would have to do a better job of planning projects as I am spoiled being able to decide halfway through the day to stop and pick up some stuff from the lumber yard on the way home but I would imagine I’d make due.
You should’ve have any problem. The XL can haul any lumber that a P/U can. You just can’t get a bucket of manure dumped in the bed for the garden.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy