Performance upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingMyersJr26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 350 small block I just put a create engine in it I was wondering what performance upgrades would and recommend that I put on it for more horsepower and speed and the deep growl

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe 5.7L just put a crate engine in
I was wondering what performance upgrades would be recommended that I put on it for more horsepower and the deep growl.
Don't know if a TRUE dual exhaust is possible? Up to you to decide what muffs / sound quality you want.
Most intakes, many cat-back exhausts, and shorty or mid-length headers are not really worth much power.

What axle gear do you have?
Normally I say 4.10, but the L31's redline is so low, 3.73 may be better.

Get your pcm reprogrammed so that the 4L60E is more responsive and fun.
If reprogrammed properly & thoroughly, the L31 can rev up several hundred RpM higher.
Then you can decide between 3.73 & 4.10.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 350 small block I just put a create engine in it I was wondering what performance upgrades would and recommend that I put on it for more horsepower and speed and the deep growl
Gears and like he said a good tune will make the most difference
Oside from that a good cam and head swap with an intake would be good.
My buddy old 97 he built would blow first and second gear off with a 9” lift on 37” mud grapplers! He ran 4.56s a built 4l60 with a 3200 stall converter
Cam heads intake Longtubes full exhaust tune and cold air intake
Can’t remember if the heads were ported Camaro heads or aftermarket but it would really get up and go to be such a big truck
IMG_0170.jpeg
It was the white one here

OP
OP
K

KingMyersJr26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't know if a TRUE dual exhaust is possible? Up to you to decide what muffs / sound quality you want.
Most intakes, many cat-back exhausts, and shorty or mid-length headers are not really worth much power.

What axle gear do you have?
Normally I say 4.10, but the L31's redline is so low, 3.73 may be better.

Get your pcm reprogrammed so that the 4L60E is more responsive and fun.
If reprogrammed properly & thoroughly, the L31 can rev up several hundred RpM higher.
Then you can decide between 3.73 & 4.10.
I have a 3.73 and I’m going to switch to a 4.10 as for the PCM reprogramming where could I get that done? Do you have any like suggestions suggestions on sites that I can look into or is that something I can just find locally in my area

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... as for PCM reprogramming, where could I get that done? Do you have any suggestions on sites that I can look into?
Or is that something I can just find locally in my area?
After 28 years, not enough tuners know how to raise the spark limiter.
pcmperformance.com is one of them. There are others out there.

We don't know where your area is yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoshi101