Performance Ignition Kit??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my coil is red but, its tucked back and under the intake.
Sure will. So far, everything is running like a top.

NOVAhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey sunlit im running an msd cap and rotor too. How did yours fail? When i pulled mine apart to do the intake manifold gasket i was kinda surprised that there was already some carbon buildup on the terminals on the inside of the cap, I haven't even had it on there for more then 6 months.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the inner cap at terminal point for cylinder 2 burned thru the cap structure to terminal 4 i believe.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

IMAG0358.gif

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

less then 10 months old.

NOVAhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, Ill have to keep on eye on mine. I was just surprised that there was already carbon buildup.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
even tho made in china it is msd and the have good quality standards. however i think the vortec design from them may not be ideal. i was thinking of replacing the dizzy with their streetfire dizzy setup. kinda think their cap needs ventilation and it don't have it. crappy on the inside but outside terminals at boot ends were perfect and those are sealed. go figure.

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I have to agree, I replaced my distributor while doing intake gaskets, spider injection assembly and new waterpump. I used to have to replace the cap and rotor around once a year. Since I've done that overhaul I haven't had to touch the truck. That was like two years ago. I'm pretty sure it was a distributor off Ebay, all aluminum, no stupid plastic base. Starts with half a crank everytime and purrs.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the plastic used to make the dizzy is not the problem at least with a delphi or delco unit. It is more the cross-fire path design. it makes it to easy to mess things up. and every cap out there is plastic of some sort.

people really have to stop thinking plastic in vehicles is so bad for parts.

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh ya well when you back out the screws that hold the cap on and the ears are broken because they are plastic, thats pretty ******. Which also makes it hard to tighten the cap down to make a good seal because your worried about snapping those stupid ears off. Don't know what to tell you except I haven't had any problems since once I put the new distributor in. I fully understand that high grade plastics can work fine in some spots in the engine bay. Its still not the best solution, just a less expensive one.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
my oem one has 240k on it. the ears are fine with no stripped threads and the screws stay in because they have sealant on like they are supposed to. i also don't over torque them. in fact the only problem with it is he metal gear is wearing . just have to treat them right and hope that those before you did the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA