Passenger side mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1999 Tahoe LT. My passenger mirror will not go up or down anymore. I changed the control switch unit and that didn't help. I looked at getting a new one and they aren't that expensive but I thought maybe someone here has dealt with the issue before and found a fix. If it is something easy, i will fix it. Otherwise I will have to get a new one. And I am in no hurry as it is set perfect for me at the moment. I really just like everything to work as it should when I own a vehicle.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The internal motor can fail on these and also the cast aluminum portion of the mechanism itself becomes very brittle with age. Making it prone to cracking and breaking. Repairing them, I have never done that. Only replaced.

You should be able to still move the mirror manually with a little persuasion, if the integrity of the unit is still intact.

I’ve never had the switch be the issue when any of my mirrors on this generation vehicle failed. Was always the mirror mechanism itself. Replaced (4) or (5) of them in the last 20 years. Most recently replaced one about (2) months ago and found one on the old evil-bay for around $30-$35 IIRC.

Beware however if you have window rain guards installed. The aftermarket mirror sometimes has a larger footprint that can interfere with your existing rain guard installation. Nothing that can’t be overcome with a little creativity in modifying.

OP
OP
S

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The internal motor can fail on these and also the cast aluminum portion of the mechanism itself becomes very brittle with age. Making it prone to cracking and breaking. Repairing them, I have never done that. Only replaced.

You should be able to still move the mirror manually with a little persuasion, if the integrity of the unit is still intact.

I’ve never had the switch be the issue when any of my mirrors on this generation vehicle failed. Was always the mirror mechanism itself. Replaced (4) or (5) of them in the last 20 years. Most recently replaced one about (2) months ago and found one on the old evil-bay for around $30-$35 IIRC.

Beware however if you have window rain guards installed. The aftermarket mirror sometimes has a larger footprint that can interfere with your existing rain guard installation. Nothing that can’t be overcome with a little creativity in modifying.
Thanks for the heads up on the aftermarket. I am going to the auction site and FB marketplace to look for one. There is a guy about 40 miles from here that has a lot of parts for these vehicles. I have never seen mirrors in his ad, but I will send a message to him. I am in no rush as I hardly ever back up anywhere. I have changed some mirrors on other vehicles so it shouldn't be too hard of a job.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the aftermarket. I am going to the auction site and FB marketplace to look for one. There is a guy about 40 miles from here that has a lot of parts for these vehicles. I have never seen mirrors in his ad, but I will send a message to him. I am in no rush as I hardly ever back up anywhere. I have changed some mirrors on other vehicles so it shouldn't be too hard of a job.
There's a small triangular piece of molding that pops off near the top front corner of the inner door panel, giving you access to the (3) nuts inside that secure the mirror in place. And there's also (1) plug you'll have to undo. Hardest part for me is fitting my hands in the hole to operate a small ratchet to loosen the nuts. IIRC they are 10mm. Be patient and steady as it feels like a game of operation as you're trying to remove the nuts without dropping them inside the door.

Until then, don't look back lol!

Good luck man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberv96