Partial cluster failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my cluster out of the dash to fix plastic clip on female side connector. When I reinstalled my cluster only has the four smaller guages and turn indicators working.

The spedo, trouble lights, tac, and prnd does not work. I scanned for trouble codes but found nothing. I am not sure how to further troubleshoot as i have no wiring diagrams for this.

Been google searching for 3 hours. Any help is greatly appreciated. Was working without a hitch before.

Vehicle is 2001 z71 tahoe 5.3L

Link to video of problem:

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having an extraordinarily hard time figuring this out. I've probed as much as I can in the connector but don't know what signal is supposed to come out what pin.

I'm slowly working through ground connections:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2001-tahoe-ground-locations-can-anyone-post-them-up.94112/

I've tested the notorious ground that most people find is the problem (ground is fine):

https://sparkys-answers.com/2012/03/2000-chevrolet-suburban-instrument.html

However, I really need wiring diagrams for the cluster connector. Anybody have those? I'm searching all over the place I found this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1559635-2002-chevy-truck-cluster-pinout.html

But engine is the LQ4 and not sure if pin out would be same? Additionally what are signals supposed to look like coming out of the connector (serial data, voltage, duty cycle, frequency?)

My thing is I don't want to buy a cluster just to find out it was something else... Can anybody share any details they might know? Thanks!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good god, I figured it out but took a subscription to AllData to find out what it was. The fuse #46 for radio is also for the instrument cluster. If #46 is blown none of the gauges requiring serial data to be decoded work. Long story short, I found the fuse. However, in the process I also disassembled the instrument cluster and removed the gauge needles. I wasn't smart enough to take a photo before I removed the needles. Now I don't know exactly how to orient them or rest the cluster. Does anybody know how to do that?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If that's your video in post #1 would a "still" of the gauges with the key off (at the end) show the last position?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that's your video in post #1 would a "still" of the gauges with the key off (at the end) show the last position?
Ah crap never thought of that :/ I just 0lugged back into truck now and the guages have moved again. When I took the first one off I had thought the needle was keyef but when I went back to reinstall them, I discovered they were not keyed :(

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fless: I think the video does still help. I was able to calibrate all the other meters using...

A scan tool (to read MPH, RPM, Temp, etc) along with a infrared thermometer gun (to double check temp) and a volt meter to check alternator.

Now I can use my video to set the gas gauge back to where it was :)

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I realized in my efforts I blew one of the LEDs for trouble lights in the dash cluster. Specifically the LED for the parking brake indicator. Anybody know what part number LED those trouble lights are? I need to solder a new one in there :/