Part Identification please....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was peering behind my grill today and noticed a very small "cooler" looking apparatus on the drivers side just left of the headlight. Looks like a tiny cooler of some sort. Anyone know what it is?

R2ur5a3.png
4q89MP2.png

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power steering cooler? Never heard of one lol
Its all factory, strange Government vehicle...

Here it is on a Silverado (all the same):

That power steering cooler might be standard on 4WD or part of a special package, like the heavy-duty trailering package. Do you have a hydraulic brake booster?

I need the lines for your style of trans cooler for an aftermarket one that I'm adding. Gonna look up the OEM stuff since I now know they were a factory option.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here it is on a Silverado (all the same):

That power steering cooler might be standard on 4WD or part of a special package, like the heavy-duty trailering package. Do you have a hydraulic brake booster?

I need the lines for your style of trans cooler for an aftermarket one that I'm adding. Gonna look up the OEM stuff since I now know they were a factory option.

Yes on the hydraulic brake booster, I thought thats the only way they came?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes on the hydraulic brake booster, I thought thats the only way they came?

I wish! I'd love to have hydraboost! That explains the cooler (I think). Between the 4WD putting a little extra stress on the steering and the brake booster running off of the power steering pump, that cooler keeps things in check.

alpinecrick

Reaction score
In the GMT400's power steering coolers were common on 2500, 3500, and 3500HD's, w/hydroboost. The GMT800 Suburbans and Tahoes usually had one. A lot of folks mistake it for a engine oil cooler.

The trans cooler looks like a fin and plate cooler, never seen one of those on GMT800' and 900's, it was always a stacked plate cooler or tube and fin. But if it is a former government fleet vehicle.........

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naw...wait! Mines not hydroboost, mine is vacuum.
My apologies for the confusion gents, I had a Biden moment.

Last edited: