part # for shifter boot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riff Raff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know where to find one cheap?

shifter boot on the column

i know a junkyard u could put one in your pocket

HeavyXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys,

I have the replacement boot, but I'm looking for details on how to change the boot. What tools are required and level of difficulty.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer price was around $10 to $15. Install is simple. One screw to loosen the steering column cover. Slide or cut off the old one from the shifter column. May need a little lube on the new one to get it over the shift knob. That's it.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the correct part #: 26044259 ?

HeavyXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Replaced the shift boot this weekend

So, I worked on this replacement this weekend. Basically I took the following steps:

1. Tilt steering column down
2. Pry top cover free from the steering column
3. Unscrew torx screw from exposed shifter base.
4. Pull shifter from it's seated position, while keeping tension off the orange tow/haul wire.
5. Remove knee bolster trim beneath steering column. Two screws need to be removed, and (4) press in metal clips.
6. Unplug orange tow/haul wire, and un-clip wire from (2) points on the steering column.
7. Remove shifter
8. Remove damaged rubber shift boot
9. Feed small side of shifter, with the orange tow/haul connector and wire thru new rubber boot.
10. Re-insert the base of the shifter into it's original position
11. Feed the rubber boot down the channels of the base of the steering column cover.
12. Re-insert the torx screw and tighten
13. Re-install the top plastic cover of the steering column cover (snaps back into place)
14. Re-install the knee bolster; screws and clips.

I tried to cheat by warming the rubber shift boot, and sliding over the large end of the shifter...but that of course did not work...in fact it created a very small rip so I stopped and completed the steps I listed above.

Total time about 75 mins; had I had these instructions i would have gotten thru it in about 30 mins. So best of luck to those who follow.

All in all it's an easy project, just take your time. Hope this helps someone is a similar situation!

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice write up. May be a bit overkill. I just replaced my friends shift boot. One drop of WD-40 and it slid right over the shift knob. It also helped being a warm day.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice write up. May be a bit overkill. I just replaced my friends shift boot. One drop of WD-40 and it slid right over the shift knob. It also helped being a warm day.

Really? I got turned off after reading the "how to" above. If its that simple, I;m going to do it.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? I got turned off after reading the "how to" above. If its that simple, I;m going to do it.

Absolutely. I've done a few this way. When you do, you may want clean the shift linkage with some compressed air. Dirt and rubber bits can build up from the old torn boot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cervantesjesus174