P1351 after replacing ignition coil and icm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran into a start issue when it was really rainy and wet but started again when the next afternoon after it was been dry. Had original distributor, ignition coil, and ignition control module with 290k on my 97 Tahoe. So I had them all replaced as well as spark plug wires (plugs were already new). Now it sort of seems like the first time I try to start it it will start but then immediately stop but after that its fine. But I got this p1351 code now. I even cleared it after the work was done and it came back. The description says it's "ICM circuit high voltage".

Would a bad ICM cause this? I still have no check engine light and I'm just puzzled exactly what this means and what it will do in the long run.

UPDATE: Went out this morning, cleared the code and took it for a 30 minute test drive. Came home turned it off, started it again. No reoccurrence thus far and no issues starting at all. Is this something that could have just been a little wonky the first bit of starts, etc right after all the changes and had to get all in sync?

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Distributor not correctly set. +- 1degree at1000 rpm. requires scanner. Many cheap bluetooths will do this, name varies with app,Cam Retard Offset is one name . Many posts here.
Reply here if you cannot find it or need help.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Code came back and exact scenario - start fine, run for about a second and stall. Second attempt to start works fine and runs fine after, not rough or anything.

@exp500 -wouldnt the distributor cause a more consistent issue?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P1351 does many strange things. Search this site for more info. It is a MUST FIX.
What are you using for scanner?
What is the repair history? You said coil and ICM replaced. Both Delco? If Dist is properly adjusted and P1351 comes back Dist may be worn. Rockauto United works good.
I have a regular old OBDII scanner I bought many, many years ago when I was still making payments on the truck. :) I just had the ignition coil, ICM, spark plug wires, and distributor assembly all replaced at the same time, after which this problem presented. Before that, I had a complete no start, no spark condition when it was really rainy but it started fine the next day. I suspected just the coil but had all of the above done anyway since it was all factory original (except wires). I had an AC Delco coil and ICM but the guy I had working on it put in whatever he got (Autozone I think) before I got him the parts. This guy's pretty good though so I would like to believe he'd adjust the distributor correctly (can't guarantee anything of course!!). I'm incredibly leary of that ICM but I want to be sure before I pull the plug on swapping it because once I put the AC Delco ICM on there, I'm stuck with it. Heavily leaning toward the ICM as I stare at a new one in the AC delco box sitting next to me...

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@exp500 i got it, bought the gm pid. I'm dumb cause I can't find anything that shows me cam retard or anything like it. Can you (or anyone?) tell me where to find it/set it up in dash command?

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I Found it. So it says -13.4 (at 1000rpm). What should it say?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Distributor not correctly set. +- 1degree at1000 rpm. requires scanner. Many cheap bluetooths will do this, name varies with app,Cam Retard Offset is one name . Many posts here.
Reply here if you cannot find it or need help.

Ok I Found it. So it says -13.4 (at 1000rpm). What should it say?

+/- 1° at 1K rpm.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dist cap/rotor, ICM, Coil, plug wires are known failure points on these trucks. Put it on shelf, you will need it and it's 20 years old so good parts harder to get. You should be good for 20-40k miles now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz