P0420...come and go....what in the world?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Denali XL. At about mile 81,000 I got the lovely and famous P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)) code, with the obvious CEL on the dash.

- I cleared the computer, hoping there was just some anomaly in the system. 2 days later, it comes on again.
- I cleared it again and replaced the downstream 02 sensor. One week later, it comes back again (100 miles or so).
- I get desperate and try the Cataclean. Expensive stuff, for sure. I follow instructions exactly. I did NOT get a chance to reset the code.
- About 50 miles later check engine light is off (meaning the light on the dash is gone but I didn't reset any code). I figured the cataclean worked and I'm shocked, since I've long felt that kind of stuff is more snake oil than science (sorry to offend some of you). But I'm left wondering if codes can just go away. I thought you had to reset them.
- About a two weeks later and maybe 4 to 500 miles more, light and same error code comes on again.
- We drive it with the light on for at least 3 weeks (1000 miles due to road trip) and suddenly the code is gone.
- Drove with it off for about 300 miles, then last night it comes on again.

So it cycles on and off. Stays on more than off but it does all this without me resetting it.

I can't stand the thought of dropping $800+ for new catalytic converters knowing that this code goes away on its own every now and again.

What do I do to figure out the real cause before I start throwing cash at replacing both converters?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the catalyst monitor runs and passes three times over three drive cyes the MIL will turn off. After 40 key cycles without a fault the code will erase. If a fault is detected before the codes are erased it has to see a failure twice and it will turn the MIL back on.

It depends on your driving habits. You have to meet the correct conditions for all the different emissions monitors to run.

OP
OP
M

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Brutus, for the technical detail. That does help explain some of the on and off. I suppose this is going to be a case of "throw money at it and hope it sticks".....meaning I suppose I'll have to replace my catalytic converters and hope that fixes it. If not, then on to more money and time.

In all, frustrating for sure as this will cost me $700 bucks and my own labor/time to do the replacement--all for a case where it MIGHT not fix the issue at all.

Trevor