P0420 Code, has anybody found it to NOT be a bad cat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mftrnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pretty much like the title says, it's the one code I was hoping would clear when I got rid of the rich fuel condition. After resetting the fuel composition (previously had P0172/P0175) this was the only code that came back, anybody found a solution other then cats? I'm still pretending there is hope it's something else (cheaper).

Or does anybody have any suggestions for what readings to check with a scanner? Any way to confirm it is a bad cat?

Code P0420 stands for “Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).”

Thanks!

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would check the o2 sensor might be slow or damaged

if the cat est temp is going up then it works, it should be 350c-700c depending on the load... also check and make sure other sensors are working correctly

if the O2 sensor is at zero then it's dead (sometimes may report 0.00 on DFCO)

(the rear sensor for the most part should be stable )

if they're following then the cat is dead

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cats are expensive and pretty durable. I would watch this YouTube video all the way through and maybe check everything he recommends. Most of the specialty tools he uses are available for loan/free rental at stores like Napa.

Good luck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much like the title says, it's the one code I was hoping would clear when I got rid of the rich fuel condition. After resetting the fuel composition (previously had P0172/P0175) this was the only code that came back, anybody found a solution other then cats? I'm still pretending there is hope it's something else (cheaper).

Or does anybody have any suggestions for what readings to check with a scanner? Any way to confirm it is a bad cat?

Code P0420 stands for “Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).”

Thanks!
Nope, been there, done that.

If one goes, the other isn't far behind. Replaced mine with Magnaflow cats and y-pipe from a vendor on here, GotExhaust. At the time it was less than half the price of OE and the piping is much better for flow.

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If one goes, the other isn't far behind. Replaced mine with Magnaflow cats and y-pipe from a vendor on here, GotExhaust. At the time it was less than half the price of OE and the piping is much better for flow.
Were they CARB or just Federal compliant?

Do you happen to remember what the two cats, Y pipe, etc. cost you?

I know it is just a matter of time for me, so lining my ducks up.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i had both p0420 and p0430 (triggered by P0069 code) codes before did not need to replace them that is why it's a good idea to check other things first... a stuck open tstat for example could cause it

unless he had a misfire this is why you check the o2 sensor data to see if it's following.. if it's heating up normally and not following the cat is ok... it's something else

when I had an actual failed cat it check engine instantly when behind a diesel truck....it also followed

KEEP the old Converters they're worth BIG $$$$$ right now

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

KEEP the old Converters they're worth BIG $$$$$ right now rather then return core

they forget to change the price here..

$915 at that price it's cheaper then the after market after market one will be 1900$

i'd call them up see if it's in stock and the correct one for your SUV vin verification 972-864-9725, be ready as they answer instantly

this is for the OP
all of them are 50 state... as they changed the rule in 2008 for federal

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Federal, I forgot that my truck is labled California emissions! No other differences though.

Yes, in early 2018 I paid $585 for Magnaflow #51578

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Federal, I forgot that my truck is labled California emissions! No other differences though.

Yes, in early 2018 I paid $585 for Magnaflow #51578
the same one is way more money now almost 2x the cost might as go with the OEM though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts