P tires versus LT Tire ride and drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nitrosnoopy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well after lurking around here for several months I decided to pull the trigger and purchase a 04 Tahoe LT 4X4 to replace my 97 Mercury Mountaineer. I love the way this thing ride and drives.I am looking to replace the tires with a 285/75,but I dont wanna screw up the ride and drive....or kill the mileage to bad.I start looking at LT tire weights and I am blow away by the tire weights of the LT tires in 10 ply.So my question for those of you who have put LT tires on you Tahoes/Yukons how did it affect your ride and drive and mileage.I do tow a pontoon that is 3300lbs in the summer and I have 3.73 gears.What are yaour thoughts?

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ride will be a little stiffer mostly due to the sidewalls being heavier duty. Mpg's shouldn't be affected unless upsizing. When towing always go LT tires as many p-metric tires can barley carry the loaded weight of the vehicle they are on, so adding tongue weight behind it can overload and pose a danger to yourself and others. I see this issue daily at work at the RV dealership I work at and we have seen the carnage of overloading tires and it is not pretty.

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah if your towing definitely go with LTs. the pros out weigh the cons. the tire you pick will have more of a difference than switching from P to LT.

also most tires in the 285 70 17/285 75 16 range are going to be LTs anyways.

do you have 16s or 17s? In my opinion, your probably better off sticking with the 265 70 17/265 75 16 size tire in LT.
If you put a 285 on a narrow OEM wheel, your going to have some wear issues and definitely not get the life out of the tires you want. Those tires are not designed for the 17x7.5 OEM wheels.

so i suggest going with a 265 70 17 (or 265 75 16) LT tire. The BFG A/T are really nice LT tires or the michelin ms2 in an LT if you want more of a street tire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nitrosnoopy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I thing thats the ticket,I am just gonna go with a LT ,maybe split the difference and put a 275/70/17 on it and roll with that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar