Overheated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blh1960

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to forum. I have had my Yukon about a month. Had a few issues I new about. Abs which I think is solder joints in the EBCM, oil leak, and a/c issues. This morning on my commute to work my coolant light illuminated. A immediate scan of my gauge revealed climbing temps. Pulled off the road and notice steam coming from the hood. Since I am a AAA member I called. Because it was dark and the flashlight I had sucked I could not pinpoint the source. As it cooled off a little it look like it was coming from the WP area. Could somebody chime in on the best way to approach this problem? I had it towed to my home. I am mechanically inclined and plan to do the work. I solved my a/c problem. The oil leak is probably partiallyvalve covers as I can smell it on the exhaust manifold. The vehicle is in excellent condition except high mileage. Thanks
Blh1960

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
start it up, let it run for about 2 mins, while keeping an eye on your temps. Check for a collapsed hose (upper and lower), radiator leaks, water pump leaks as well as the thermostat. You may need to get the dye agent and a uv flashlight to look all over the engine once its added to see if you are leaking. Also check your coolant level. If head gaskets are shot, your coolant could find its way into the oil passages.

If no leaks are found, suspect your a faulty thermostat and replace. If your fan is clutch driven, make sure that your fan is spiining correctly and not hard to turn by hand.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pic-6209047676977348445-1600x1200.jpg
CHeck water pump weep hole. Is it wet in the area? If so then your water pumps mechanical seal has failed and water pump is shot.

OP
OP
B

Blh1960

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Will not get a chance to look at it until the weekend. I will look at the WP weep hole for leakage. I suppose it is real possible my thermostat was stuck close. Thanks so much for the advice. This forum is awesome!

OP
OP
B

Blh1960

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could not get to my Yukon until this weekend. Gallon of h20 and a couple of minutes revealed a weep-hole waterfall Friday night. Decide to hit it Saturday morning. Disassembled. When I took the WP off I notice a oil leak on my TC cover. Napa was my choice. Good parts in my opinion. Pick up a WP, TC gasket set. Decided to change both belts and the T-stat. Did not take long to eat up a couple of hundred greenbacks. Work Saturday until the halfway point. Completed today. I am one old school guys that like to use a thin coat of RTV. Like to wait 24 hours before I put pressure in the system. Thanks for the help all.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure called that one ! HAHAHAHA Glad you got it taken care of. Dont be suprised if you have air in the system and it only appeared to "full" by looking at the overflow tank. You may need to add more after driving it.

OP
OP
B

Blh1960

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The hardest part about this job was pulling my crankshaft pulley. The crankshaft bolt is not long enough to use the puller. Had to find a long bolt so I could get it out. I ended up tapping the right threads on a regular bolt. The crankshaft bolt is metric. Needed the bolt to install the pulley as well. I also did not have a torque wrench large enough for the crankshaft bolt spec. Maybe not recommend but used my impact on the high setting then I tried to use a cheater bar the rest of the way. 250 foot pounds takes some strength. I also put some lock-tight blue on the threads. Hopefully this will help on some of my oil leakage. There are two bolts on the bottom of the timing cover that I struggled with a bit. The WP was a piece of cake. And Mike, thank you for calling that for me. It made me much more aware when troubleshooting. I feel like I save a few hundred. I would guess at least $500.00. It was probably a good 6-8 hours of labor for everything.