Outlet Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nross33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay guys. So I am aware these are both different. Now the one on the left (as circled in red) is bad. I am trying to replace the outlet but not sure which is the correct part number. I understand one is an accessory outlet and one is the cigarette lighter? Also is the one I have that is bad the one that requires the special tool to be removed? Sorry, interior and electrical is not my strongest area, wanted to try and get this replaced tomorrow so the help is appreciated.d332eb8b581ed31b177f8755a467844b.jpg

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you think the socket is bad? Ours is out in our 2005, and I assumed it was the fuse. Still haven't replaced it yet...

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Take the lower dash off to get to it. Remove it and grab one from a salvage yard.
I replaced mine with a aftermarket usb.
20170904_163859.jpg 20170904_163856.jpg

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine with a aftermarket usb.

I always wonder about replacing these sockets with USB; for example, there is a concerted change being made in the market to move away from USB A, which is what you are using for charging ports -- and moving to USB C. Which means your ports will be invalidated sooner rather than later. Further, charging technologies are also moving forward at a rapid pace, such that you could get something to plug in to the socket that will recharge your devices far faster than the USB ports you have added. Anyway, sorry for thread-jacking and rambling.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always wonder about replacing these sockets with USB; for example, there is a concerted change being made in the market to move away from USB A, which is what you are using for charging ports -- and moving to USB C. Which means your ports will be invalidated sooner rather than later.

There's no way that every single USB-A connector will have to be changed "sooner rather than later". You'll need a new vehicle before tha happens.

Further, charging technologies are also moving forward at a rapid pace, such that you could get something to plug in to the socket that will recharge your devices far faster than the USB ports you have added.

While this may be true, this is still a great option to have access to a USB port with minimal money/time in to it.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no way that every single USB-A connector will have to be changed "sooner rather than later". You'll need a new vehicle before tha happens.

Fair enough. I meant no disparagement to anyone who did this/likes this. I really was wondering about it. Many apologies if anyone took offense at that. It was unintended.

While this may be true, this is still a great option to have access to a USB port with minimal money/time in to it.

Fair enough.

I am a technophile; I watch the deal sites and keep an eye out for the socket to USB chargers, and buy them when they get to a reasonable price (like $8 or less, these days). I will point out, however, that my approach will never look as finished as someone who builds in their ports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove