Ordering parts for a regear, ring and pinion swap, have you ever done one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snives

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm ordering parts to do a 4.10 ring and pinion swap in the 2017 Tahoe. The rear axle is a GM 9.5" 12-bolt right? It currently has a 3.08 and the G80 locker. From what I gather there is a carrier split at 3.23. I don't know if I can use the same carrier for the 4.10 or what people do. I found a ring gear spacer that says its required for converting from 3.08, so I'm guessing I need that?

I'm also reading that there is something up with the yoke not being compatible with aftermarket pinions? Is that what this conversion yolk is for?, why?

Anyways, I've ordered the ring and pinion and a master overhaul kit since this is the first differential I'm doing. excited! I have no speciality tools for this though, what do I need? A press? A bearing driver kit? I don't know what I don't know so I'm asking. I have watched plenty of videos though! hahaha

If you've done a ring and pinion swap / regear on this GM 9.5 12-bolt I would love to get some advice!

thanks guys

RB_Trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to follow this one, I posted on another forum thread here about re-gearing my 2019 Suburban to 3.73 or 4.10 with no luck yet.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I regeared one of these axles (from a truck), but in my garage. It's supposed to be swapped into my 99 Silverado at some point

Anyways, mine was 3.42s originally and I also went with 4.10s.

You need one of those dial torque wrenches and a dial indicator with a magnetic base. Yes, a shop press with bearing separator is required. For the ring gear, I just heated it with a heat gun to get it to drop on the carrier.

I made a homemade "case spreader" out of threaded rod and steel square tube, so that I didn't have to hammer the bearing preload shims too much.

I actually stick welded the axle tubes to the pumpkin too, but that was just for fun.

OP
OP
snives

snives

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, so far the tools I've ordered:
- Dial indicator with magnetic base - to measure backlash
- 1/2 brass punch - to drive out bearing races without marring housing
- Pinion/carrier bearing puller
- 10 piece bearing/seal driver kit
- Beam drive torque wrench - to measure pinion preload

I don't have a hydraulic press yet, but might have to do it for the pinion bearing and the carrier bearings. I've read some people put the bearings in the oven and end up not using a press. Thoughts?

The point about the case spreader is interesting. I've seen people use shim drivers to push those carrier shims in. I don't know how much preload the carrier needs so I don't know how hard it will be to push the shims in. I wonder if the case spreader would prevent me from having to drive the carrier shims in so hard that I would need that shim driver tool?

edit:
I got the shop press and the case spreader anyways, because if I want professional results I need to use the right tool for the job.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm ordering parts to do a 4.10 ring and pinion swap in the 2017 Tahoe. The rear axle is a GM 9.5" 12-bolt right? It currently has a 3.08 and the G80 locker. From what I gather there is a carrier split at 3.23. I don't know if I can use the same carrier for the 4.10 or what people do. I found a ring gear spacer that says its required for converting from 3.08, so I'm guessing I need that?

I'm also reading that there is something up with the yoke not being compatible with aftermarket pinions? Is that what this conversion yolk is for?, why?

Anyways, I've ordered the ring and pinion and a master overhaul kit since this is the first differential I'm doing. excited! I have no speciality tools for this though, what do I need? A press? A bearing driver kit? I don't know what I don't know so I'm asking. I have watched plenty of videos though! hahaha

If you've done a ring and pinion swap / regear on this GM 9.5 12-bolt I would love to get some advice!

thanks guys
What are you driving? The 5.3s have a 12-Bolt Salisbury 9.5" axle and the 6.2s use the 12-Bolt Salisbury 9.76" axle.

You can look up parts over at demandaam.com.

The proper carrier is stronger than the adapter to make one for a 3.08 work for 3.42 or larger numerically. Don't have enough knowledge of that though.

Should have no problem reusing your yoke, always use a new nut and washer when you finally torque it down for good.

OP
OP
snives

snives

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What are you driving? The 5.3s have a 12-Bolt Salisbury 9.5" axle and the 6.2s use the 12-Bolt Salisbury 9.76" axle.

You can look up parts over at demandaam.com.

The proper carrier is stronger than the adapter to make one for a 3.08 work for 3.42 or larger numerically. Don't have enough knowledge of that though.

Should have no problem reusing your yoke, always use a new nut and washer when you finally torque it down for good.

It's a 5.3, so a 9.5", it has the G80 and I didn't really know how to search for the different carriers. Thanks for that link, that made it very easy to find the GM PN 40090728 for the 3.42+ carrier, however that is an open differential carrier. I don't see any G80 carriers there. But I have the adapter ring anyhow so I'll try that route.