OR VietVet Is Still Throwing $$$ at 2005 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I really got to see the difference today on how my rig handles with the Hellwig sway bar kits on there. I had just made a right turn and was accelerating faster than the average Joe, as usual, and a guy in a red coupe about 100 to 120 feet down on the right was pulling out of a gas station lot and he must have looked at where I came from around the corner and thought I was gonna slow poke it and he was looking to his right, away from me and he started to go ahead and pull out to turn left. Luckily there was a center turn lane, because there was no way I was gonna be able to stop to keep from plowing in to him. I accelerated to reach his front impact point as quick as I could so he would not be at the center turn lane yet and I did the hard left and hard right around the front of his vehicle. My rig handled like I could not believe. Newer tires and a solid mechanical rig with those sway bars did the trick. The guy that was behind me, he had turned right after I did, had to slam on the brakes because by that time the red coupe was well out in the lane and half way across the center turn lane. The only choice that guy would have had was to hit the guy or turn right as fast as he could in to the gas station lot. Get the effin' hell out of my way.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Safety and fun and they've already paid for themselves. :thumbsup:
Don't I know it. It was a quick quick quick decision for me to do that and if I had not accelerated, I would have reached that center lane too late and his car would have been further out and then if I did the quick left/right swerve, I would have been in the oncoming lane. That particular intersection, and coming up to it, with a Fred Meyers gas station just before the intersection, is very iffy and you have to pay attention. There is another way to get to my taco place but that requires many stop lights. I go this way because it avoids the stop lights. So, coming and going around that intersection is a challenge, especially with the way some people drive and not looking as they should. I expect the idiots to mess up and am prepared. I count on them to mess up and sometimes they do not let me down.

I don't want this Tahoe hit and have to start all over building what I have accomplished with my rig.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Something I did not mention. As you come up to that intersection, the gas station has two separate in and out places to get in and out of that station. The center lane gets crowded coming up to it because of this and then idiots will stop in the ongoing traffic lane and wait for an opening in the center turn lane. When I leave the taco place and turn right, like I did in the almost accident, you have those two enter/exit spots on the right and have to watch for people pulling out of the gas station as well as people making the right, as I did, and then hitting the brakes to turn right again into the station. It is a mess and I will be slowing down a bit after all this. I think of that place like being on the highway in two lanes heading the same direction, and passing on the left of a slower vehicle, and getting on by quickly. I don't hang there going 1-2 mph faster and eventually getting around. When I pass, I get the hell around them, especially if is an 18 wheeler. I treat that wreck area close to the taco place, the same way. As I go thru that place, I get the hell out of there.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I expect the idiots to mess up and am prepared. I count on them to mess up and sometimes they do not let me down.

"Always expect them (the other drivers) to do the wrong thing." This is Rule #1 in my driving lessons.

I don't want this Tahoe hit and have to start all over building what I have accomplished with my rig.

Hell naw! Like many of us here, our rigs' values far exceed an insurance payout.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something I did not mention. As you come up to that intersection, the gas station has two separate in and out places to get in and out of that station. The center lane gets crowded coming up to it because of this and then idiots will stop in the ongoing traffic lane and wait for an opening in the center turn lane. When I leave the taco place and turn right, like I did in the almost accident, you have those two enter/exit spots on the right and have to watch for people pulling out of the gas station as well as people making the right, as I did, and then hitting the brakes to turn right again into the station. It is a mess and I will be slowing down a bit after all this. I think of that place like being on the highway in two lanes heading the same direction, and passing on the left of a slower vehicle, and getting on by quickly. I don't hang there going 1-2 mph faster and eventually getting around. When I pass, I get the hell around them, especially if is an 18 wheeler. I treat that wreck area close to the taco place, the same way. As I go thru that place, I get the hell out of there.

Sounds like every Chick-Fil-A since their popularity exploded ~10 years ago. Some restaurants are being paid to relocate while others are having the roadways modified to help with the lines that wrap around the restaurant and extend out into the streets.

I just saw they're building a Buc-ee's "near" to me in SW Mississippi. It'll be among their largest stores. The first step they're doing is widening I-10 to accommodate it.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The upgrades that keep these rigs moving safely down the road are so worth it. Why I upgraded brakes. I’m gonna upgrade suspension a bit before I power upgrades for reasons just like this so I can maneuver myself out sticky situations. Bigger and longe roasting brakes have kept me from several could be serious accidents had I not had good brakes and stopped in time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenTV GUy