OR VietVet Is Still Throwing $$$ at 2005 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, final numbers as promised after my 15 day across country trip. I went from Eugene, Or., to Paradise, Ca. to KC, Mo. to Warrensburg, Mo., back to KC, Mo. then from there to Dallas/Fort Worth area in Euless, Tx., was gonna go back to KC, Mo. but went from Euless, Tx. back to home in Eugene. The trip home from Texas took 3 long days. From Tx. thru Ok., thru Kansas and then west on Interstate 70 to Burlington, Co. where we spent the first night, then to Denver and then up to Cheyenne, Wy. across to Salt Lake City, Utah and then up to Idaho to Twin Falls for second night and across to Oregon and then still on Interstate 84 all the way to Portland, Or. and then down Interstate 5 to Eugene. Tahoe performed flawlessly the whole way on this entire trip, up and down passes at 3 to 4 thousand rpm when climbing and maintaining speed. Never ever once did the temp climb over 200 and that included using a/c in over 100 degree weather in several places. Was 112 degrees our second day in Euless. The charging system was solid, oil pressure at idle was 40 psi and up to 65 when floored up passes. The fluids remained great color and only had to add 1 quart of oil during the whole trip. Trans temp never climbed over 180 on the hottest days and up the passes. I averaged 15.6 mpg on the whole trip with 13.8 mpg to 17.8 as low and high mpg. I could not be happier with this rig. The exact miles traveled on Interstates and in town driving added up to 5529 miles. One thing that also made me feel real great about this trip is how the trans performed. Never once did it fail to kick down when needed, fluid remained clean and full. Performed flawlessly. I have a c-h-u-b-b-y about this rig right now. Right now my girlfriend is yelling at me TMI...TMI...TMI, but she also knows that if I needed help out on the road I could have posted here and likely received help from some kind soul here at the forum....Love you guys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
By the way, @Tonyrodz, great call about the Cooper AT's + tires. Load range E and 80 psi max pressure. I run them at 42 psi. Handled flawlessly and performed great. I am doing 80 mph thru the mountain curves that say to go 50-60 mph. I know the Hellwig bars are a big help but those tires stuck like glue and the wear is flawless. Thanks for the heads up on those tires.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
By the way, @Tonyrodz, great call about the Cooper AT's + tires. Load range E and 80 psi max pressure. I run them at 42 psi. Handled flawlessly and performed great. I am doing 80 mph thru the mountain curves that say to go 50-60 mph. I know the Hellwig bars are a big help but those tires stuck like glue and the wear is flawless. Thanks for the heads up on those tires.
I did lol?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
@Tonyrodz, I asked if ANYONE had comments about the Cooper tires I was thinking about and you chimed in with a positive reaction. I jumped and am happy I did. You gave me superb info.
My memory is terrible lol. Glad I could help. Cooper makes really good/nice tires. Had them on my 03 when I 1st got it and loved them.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, I just bought all new AC Delco park brake cable assemblies. At the end of my recent trip, last two days, I noticed a rhythmic moan/chirp noise coming from the rear as I would accel from a stop. Did not affect safety of the brakes and I kept driving home and paid close attention to any changes. The noise was intermittent at best. Went to see my friend at his shop and he sent me a pic of what we found, so I could forward here. The left rear park brake cable had not completely released and caused a dust buildup in the drum hat. The drum hat was not damaged and neither was the rotor. All cleaned out and found that the cable was not releasing properly in the cable housing. Pushed the cable back and have not used parking brake at all since then and noise is gone. I like to set my park brake and so I ordered all new cables and they have arrived from RA. Shipping and parts and TYF 5% discount brought it all in at around $105. Gonna do the replacement on Aug. 9. Next big job on my rig will be complete blend door actuators replacement and new heater parts and a/c parts. Gonna make sure to replace the rear a/c-heater hose assembly that runs under the rig. The way my rig performed on my 5500 mile trip recently, I still love it and see no problem updating these components as I have done so far. I know that my long trip went as well as it did because of my TLC I have done so far on this rig.

IMG_20220730_121215.jpg

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I just bought all new AC Delco park brake cable assemblies. At the end of my recent trip, last two days, I noticed a rhythmic moan/chirp noise coming from the rear as I would accel from a stop. Did not affect safety of the brakes and I kept driving home and paid close attention to any changes. The noise was intermittent at best. Went to see my friend at his shop and he sent me a pic of what we found, so I could forward here. The left rear park brake cable had not completely released and caused a dust buildup in the drum hat. The drum hat was not damaged and neither was the rotor. All cleaned out and found that the cable was not releasing properly in the cable housing. Pushed the cable back and have not used parking brake at all since then and noise is gone. I like to set my park brake and so I ordered all new cables and they have arrived from RA. Shipping and parts and TYF 5% discount brought it all in at around $105. Gonna do the replacement on Aug. 9. Next big job on my rig will be complete blend door actuators replacement and new heater parts and a/c parts. Gonna make sure to replace the rear a/c-heater hose assembly that runs under the rig. The way my rig performed on my 5500 mile trip recently, I still love it and see no problem updating these components as I have done so far. I know that my long trip went as well as it did because of my TLC I have done so far on this rig.

View attachment 376717

Does yours take the center cable with the threaded adjuster, or does it have the non-threaded cable with the auto-adjusting pedal?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh