OnStar - Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an '09 Yukon so the OnStar functionality is fairly limited. But, I was maintaining the service - or so I thought. The card I had on file expired and I received no notification from OnStar that the charges weren't going through. Sure enough, the keys got locked inside one day (WAY too easy to do on this vehicle!) and I figured no problem - OnStar remote unlock! I called OnStar provided the security responses and asked for a remote unlock. They said "nope. your service isn't active." We then realized that the card had expired and I offered to update the card. "You have to press the blue OnStar button to update your billing info." HOW CAN I PRESS THE BUTTON IF I'M LOCKED OUT???? Called AAA - far better money spent.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '09 Yukon so the OnStar functionality is fairly limited. But, I was maintaining the service - or so I thought. The card I had on file expired and I received no notification from OnStar that the charges weren't going through. Sure enough, the keys got locked inside one day (WAY too easy to do on this vehicle!) and I figured no problem - OnStar remote unlock! I called OnStar provided the security responses and asked for a remote unlock. They said "nope. your service isn't active." We then realized that the card had expired and I offered to update the card. "You have to press the blue OnStar button to update your billing info." HOW CAN I PRESS THE BUTTON IF I'M LOCKED OUT???? Called AAA - far better money spent.

Funny thing, if the police called OnStar to shut down your vehicle in a pursuit, they'd do it for free.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm old fashioned...

I dont like or want "someone else" having control of my automobile or knowing my whereabouts. I don't care who it is. I don't wear a Tinfoil hat either...

Yeaaaahhhhh I know my Cellphone is basically a shadow- I work in the Industry..

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm old fashioned...

I dont like or want "someone else" having control of my automobile or knowing my whereabouts. I don't care who it is. I don't wear a Tinfoil hat either...

Yeaaaahhhhh I know my Cellphone is basically a shadow- I work in the Industry..

But what if you take the battery out?

ang2bmd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I travel a lot alone with my teenage daughter so I pay for the security of her being able to just hit a button in an emergency and automatic crash response if I'm incapacitated than her having to try to figure out what # to call for assistance and all that. I also paid for it for my elderly mother so if she didn't show up somewhere I could track her car. Its expensive and we have road side assistance through our cell phones and our extended warranties but it makes me feel better

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog