onstar free data ended, now what (23 suburban)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ingeinge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Trying to decide if I should pay the $25/mo for onstar data or what. Seems like a lot for old 4g. I know I can connect to my phone hotspot but I have to manually do it every time and it disconnects after a while for some reason. Plus I have to remember to enable hotspot every time I get in the car. It is just kind of annoying. I am just wondering what other people are doing.

amrock888

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if you have a smart phone youre probably ok without it.. the only problem is these trucks are too "google enabled" so the navigation app will be useless, so will the fact that the speed limit display in the HUD and cluster will be blank.. sucks about that for sure

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You likely have either an Android or iPhone in which case once you plug it in, you can run either Android Auto or Car Play and get all of your mapping, music, phone/messaging, etc. via that method.

The only thing the OnStar data plan will also get you beyond the built-in google maps is the hotspot for other people in the vehicle to connect non-data plan devices, i.e. tablets.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide if I should pay the $25/mo for onstar data or what. Seems like a lot for old 4g. I know I can connect to my phone hotspot but I have to manually do it every time and it disconnects after a while for some reason. Plus I have to remember to enable hotspot every time I get in the car. It is just kind of annoying. I am just wondering what other people are doing.
old 4g that's funny, you do know you have to be within a very short range to even get a 5g signal right? before 3g you could get a signal even in pretty remote area's, same with pre hd tv, going digital effectively cuts the signal range to literal crap. even the hd tv broadcast towers are maybe 20 miles from me or less with line of sight no mountains hills or trees and it barely works.
that all being said you can probably add a mobile hotspot to your cell service for less than what onstar wants for a data account. throw it in the center console with a usb cord and you are golden. it will stay connected as long you have it set to not power off a hotspot uses very little juice.
i have verizon and can add a hotspot for $10 a month unlimited data
i can get 5g at home which is around 120gb, but mostly the signal while driving around is going to be 20-40gb 4g even though it may say "5g" it's not

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Ingeinge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Verizon is telling me $20/mo for 15gb or $50 for 50 plus a $300 hotspot device. Ugh

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pay the 25 bucks and move on.. we waste a lot of other money on other dumb &$%#. Price of a fast-food meal for 2. If for any dumb reason you would forget your phone, you could still make calls and the hotspot is valuable when traveling and for rear entertainment. I save enough in fuel every month to easily pay for it twice over...

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pay the 25 bucks and move on.. we waste a lot of other money on other dumb &$%#. Price of a fast-food meal for 2. If for any dumb reason you would forget your phone, you could still make calls and the hotspot is valuable when traveling and for rear entertainment. I save enough in fuel every month to easily pay for it twice over...
And if I am remembering right, no data limit!

OP
OP
I

Ingeinge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah good point. And if you buy 2 years up front it is $380 which is under $16/mo.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
old 4g that's funny, you do know you have to be within a very short range to even get a 5g signal right? before 3g you could get a signal even in pretty remote area's, same with pre hd tv, going digital effectively cuts the signal range to literal crap. even the hd tv broadcast towers are maybe 20 miles from me or less with line of sight no mountains hills or trees and it barely works.
Our old analog cell phones had a much further range than today's phones and they had a real antenna too.

I miss my truck having it's own phone number. Had that since 2006. My wife pays for her phone to be a hotspot if needed on our cell plan, it's not expensive at all. Projecting your phone up onto the screen was a big game changer but I still miss the old ways.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our old analog cell phones had a much further range than today's phones and they had a real antenna too.

I miss my truck having it's own phone number. Had that since 2006. My wife pays for her phone to be a hotspot if needed on our cell plan, it's not expensive at all. Projecting your phone up onto the screen was a big game changer but I still miss the old ways.
i used to get great service on a little itty bitty nokia that you could drive over and it would still work, now i loose the signal not even a 4th of the distance that old service had, no it did not have internet but you would think they would have come up with a split signal so you could still make and receive phone calls and have internet where there is a digital signal.
now I can go into target down the street and loose service, dead zone.
you could chuck a old nokia across the street the rear cover would pop off, the battery would fall out. walk over pick it up put the battery back in, put the cover back on, turn it on and make a phone call lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157