On-Star costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prettySUV01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My On-Star is about to expire, don't know if I should renew. Have never used it. What option do you have if any and if I can ask what you pay. TIA

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably never used onstar but how would you feel if the speed limit sign quit displaying? Not sure if the 21 -22 - 23s all have the same apps that depend on internet access so probably depends on what you own as far as which apps won't work properly once the plan expires.

We personally just let the trial expire...23 Z71 Tahoe - speed limit sign is the only thing my wife mentioned that she missed.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ran into this issue today. I got the unlimited plan for 20$ a month everything included. Complain to them and they’ll reduce the price.
then my wife showed me a video. You can use your phones hotspot and pair it with your nav system and use google maps. I hope my link works below

i used 990 megabytes just having the thing on. So 15$ for 2 megabytes is nothing if you use the system

i feel sorry for the guy I was screaming at. This is a ripoff.
when I told him the speed limit sign blanks out for long distances on major roadways, he softened up a bit

Last edited:

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we pay about $25 per month for unlimited data and remote app access.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard this about CarPlay for iPhone but not seen any how-to tutorial for us technically challenged older types.
It’s very simple. I believe on the 21 and newer models carplay and andriod auto are wireless functions. On the 2018-2020 models you need your phone cord plugged into the usb outlet in the center area forward of the cup holders.

You pull up the CarPlay/android auto screen from the main menu, connect your phone to the CarPlay setup, and it’ll automatically pickup carplay or android auto depending on what type of phone you’re connecting. I think the first time you tether it to the system it’ll ask you to verify PIN codes on either screen which it gives you. You just hit confirm. And then your phone is connected and it automatically displays on the CarPlay screen what apps are available to show on the truck screen from your phone. Whatever music app you use will already be listed on the screen. Both my Apple Music and Spotify apps show up on my CarPlay screen. Whatever maps app you use will also show up on the CarPlay screen. I have an iPhone and Apple Maps is light years ahead of any of the vehicle manufacturer onboard nav systems. So I use my Apple Maps through carplay and it’s stupid easy how well it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645