OMG! New Cluster! I am Sooooo Happy! :-)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
fasteddy

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the exact same thing to my 05 with a different color set up. DDS is great and fast and if you send them back your old cluster they give you a lifetime warranty on your new cluster.

I was gonna give you some crap about that mileage till you fessed up. I ordered mine and received it and by the time I installed, which was easy because the plug in was right there for the trans temp gauge, I had exceeded the mileage by 118 miles.

I know....DDS is so fast. Mine shipped the next morning, and I ordered it the night before.
And they have so many options.
Black, carbon, white backgrounds with different fonts.
And Ringed or not.
And different color needles with different centers
and different lights OEM, LED red and blue
I was overwhelmed.

But the trans temp gauge is the best....can't beat that.

Post a picture of the one you chose.
and how long did it take you to decide.
It took me a week to decide....LOL

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It took me 15 minutes to decide what I wanted and like you, they shipped the next day and it was fast. Love the inexpensive $250 fee and they pay for shipping and the return shipping if you send back your old cluster. Yes, I had a trans temp gauge on my 2004 Duramax HD2500 and missed that luxury. Am I assuming right that since the plug in for the trans temp is right there in the dash anyway, that if anyone thought of it back then, they could have just asked for the plug in and maybe pay a fee, they all could have had the trans temp available. I would bet the old dash cluster may have a dummy spot on it for the gauge and the trans temp cluster has the gauge and is ready for the plug in with the exact same wiring.

I knew I wanted white needles but was surprised of the center points option being available in silver. This is the only shit I have of this now but may be more in my build thread.

20210222_124210.jpg

OP
OP
fasteddy

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks Good!
Yes the trans temp is available through the cluster harness from the BCM or PCM I don't know which. So all you need is a cluster that has the gauge function and it'll work.
Trans Temp is not available through the OBDII port or you could display it with some app gauges like Torque or DashCommander.
So we're lucky in that regard, that GM standardized the info through the network and up to the gauge cluster.

What they didn't do and still don't (and it pains me deeply) is allow an interface between older BCMs and the new Engine PCMs. Otherwise we could
all repower with a 650hp LT4 and an 8 or 10 speed....with full GM warranty and emissions compliance.

There's a company out in Vegas that developed their own BCM for Jeeps that interfaces with the new GM engine computers.
So if you have a Jeep you can run a new GM 6.0, 6.6, LT1, or LT4 but not a Chevrolet.....I hate that.

TxTaz

Reaction score
For 02 and earlier, they use air core gauges where 03 and up use synchro motors which fail I've read. I converted my 02 to a newer Escalade style by replacing the gauge face and lens from USSpeedo. Com. The air core gauges are expensive and generally do not fail.
20210409_143220.jpg
I used dark blue window tint to the PRNDL to reduced the green harshness. I think red tint would be better. Red + Green = Blue.
Be careful replacing the LEDs, the holders line up with openings in the back. I missed one...Ugh, I'll wait till I tear it apart again next fall. I have a ton of wiring to do...seat memory/heating, comfort access door handles, push button start, tune 23 speakers and 2500 watts...there a long list. Anyone want to help? :)
Taz

Last edited:

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 02 and earlier, they use air core gauges where 03 and up use synchro motors which fail I've read. I converted my 02 to a newer Escalade style by replacing the gauge face and lens from USSpeedo. Com. The air core gauges are expensive and generally do not fail.
View attachment 278066
I used dark blue window tint to the PRNDL to reduced the green harshness. I think red tint would be better. Red + Green = Blue.
Be careful replacing the LEDs, the holders line up with openings in the back. I missed one...Ugh, I'll wait till I tear it apart again next fall. I have a ton of wiring to do...seat memory/heating, comfort access door handles, push button start, tune 23 speakers and 2500 watts...there a long list. Anyone want to help? :)
Taz

23 speakers??? Please, God, tell me you're kidding...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne