Old Manifolds Continued...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arowsom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the redirect ff40. I'll try and keep the discussion going here.

So...after a week of "pb blaster" it though I'd try and loosen one of the y pipe flange bolts from the manifold and it broke right off with almost no effort. Just for fun I thought I'd see how hard it would be to remove the manifold and the bolts loosened with ease. So on to plan B; going to buy new manifolds AND a y pipe with cat. Any advice on a brand of manifold to buy? I was looking at Dormans on Rock auto's site. Nice and cheap and I can't Imagine it's rocket science to make a manifold. Or, should I look for a pair of OEM's from a wrecker?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEMs from a wrecker may have the same issue. If the bolt broke cleanly you might be able to have to removed and a new one put in. f I were you I would look at headers. :D

OP
OP
A

arowsom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. I feel the same way about the used parts especially when new ones only cost about $85 each. Thought about headers but I want it to be as quiet as possible and I'm also worried about the extra heat from the headers. Maybe I'm worrying too much.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM is almost as good as shorties. Which ever one you find cheaper is your best bet in your case.

Cats, I don't know how much replacement Cats are now a days, but in some cases Hi-Flows are cheaper. I was able to score to magnoflow hi flow cats shipped to my door for $100 or less via amazon.com.

bai78

Surviving
Reaction score
OEM is almost as good as shorties. Which ever one you find cheaper is your best bet in your case...

I would say more so for the Gen III or Gen IV trucks but not in the case of these Gen IE Vortecs. Aftermarket shorties would yield better air flow especially in the mid to top end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommy2boys211