Oil consumption tests done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM is probably one of the biggest draw backs to the nnbs engines. it is a simple fix with a custom tune though. the fuel savings is very minimal. should have never even done it in the first place. going to cost them more money with all these warranty fixes for oil consumption.

TinyTot2

Reaction score
AFM is probably one of the biggest draw backs to the nnbs engines. it is a simple fix with a custom tune though. the fuel savings is very minimal. should have never even done it in the first place. going to cost them more money with all these warranty fixes for oil consumption.

Are you referring to something like a Black Bear tune fixing the problem?

OP
OP
sumo

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Just curious. Is everybody that is having this problem regularly using dyno or synthetic?

didnt matter for me. Burned no matter what brand, weight and type of oil used. Im now at 88% and its still full. So far i take that its working.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Are you referring to something like a Black Bear tune fixing the problem?

A tune will not fix oil consumption. It might work however if you have them Deactivate the AFM for good though.

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tune will not fix oil consumption. It might work however if you have them Deactivate the AFM for good though.

x2 black bear tune can disable the AFM. obviously won't fix any damage that has already occurred though. but through deleting it, it may "nurse" the engine back to a more healthier state. my tune was put on at 137k and i'm at 194k now. almost certain that my truck would not be running today if it wasn't black bear tuned.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt matter for me. Burned no matter what brand, weight and type of oil used. Im now at 88% and its still full. So far i take that its working.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Did you switch to synthetic when you first bought the truck then started having consumption issues?

Again just curious, because when I first bought the truck I switched to synthetic. However, it started having weird grinding type noises shortly after. I did some research and found there may be an issue using synthetic with the AFM. I did post my findings somewhere on this forum... I switched back to dyno quickly and never had that problem again. I am at ~80k on dino with no consumption issues - knock on wood.

Maybe we should start a poll to see if there is any correlation between using synthetic (new and long-term) and oil consumption. Just being an engineering nerd I guess.

Thanks for the response.

Last edited:

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the "add engine oil" message today. Just under 3000 miles since last change and oil life at 48%.

Should I get the tests done? Not like the Tahoe is under warranty anymore, though (2007 model, 88k miles).

Edit to add that I did check, and yes, it was actually low.

TinyTot2,

Have you gone in for a consumption test for this issue? Please keep us posted.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

OP
OP
sumo

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I have been using mobil 1 syn ever since i picked up the truck at 63k. Dont know about past history. I tried regular oil for a oil change just to see if oil type matter for consumption.

willcla

Reaction score
Took the Yuk this weekend to start oil consumption tests. Have to take it back every 2000 miles for them to log how much oil is being consumed.

willcla

Reaction score
Willcla, how many miles and when did you switch to synthetic?

Currently have around 61,000

Have been using Mobil 1 Extended Life since early June when the vehicle was purchased. Had 53K when it was purchased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruzic99