Oh God! Strange noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever hear anything back from the previous owner?

OP
OP
Peaches

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, she didn't. Which doesn't bother me, I'm sure facebook messages are not high on their prioritpriority list.

Something interesting happened, my oil level has increased. Substantially since I bought it. We'll be changing it tonight and doing a more indepth look Saturday. I allso want to add it had been sitting for almost 12 hours, I ran it pretty hard yesterday, racked up nearly 200 miles, but itit should have been back at normal by the time he got ahold of it. Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and show him the video. Damn it.

Last edited:

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
How high did the oil pressure get up to?

---------- Post added at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Also I am wondering if the car is reving like that it could be a belt or a pully making a noise like that??

OP
OP
Peaches

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pully or belt has recently crossed my mind. You can tell it's not rpm related though.

If I remember correctly (I was asleep when he told me) he said nearly a quart.

OP
OP
Peaches

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran some errands at lunch and noticed my oil pressure is fluctuating wildly. It stays within the realms of normal, but I don't recall ever seeing it move around (with acceleration, ect). I don't recall it ever moving as much on my old truck either. He swears it's normal, but I don't believe it. Then again, I didn't go to school to be a mechanic, I just sleep with one.

Starting with changing the oil, using Mobil1 and getting good filters on it, if that doesn't help it, I'm taking it into the shop. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with a) the noise and b) the oil pump. If it's the latter, it appears to be covered under my powertrain.

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
The oil pressure will always fluctuate. It will go up when accelerating and go down when cruising and coming to a stop.

OP
OP
Peaches

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swear I've never noticed it, maybe I'm just not paying attention.

This sucks. Now, I'm super paranoid about everything.

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
^^ haha It is ok, when ever you get a new/used car always wondering if something was wrong with it from previous owner.

OP
OP
Peaches

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mechanic laughed at me last night and told me to take a xanax. Lol. He also said to change out the oil and filters, as that should fix it. Google is not your friend, when you're paranoid. I decide things based on extreme research, especially big ass purchases so I'm super paranoid. Exhaust is going on today, we'll see how that goes. If he has time he'll do the oil, otherwise it's tomorrow.

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big difference between oil pressure fluctuating and oil level going up. Oil pressure changes, higher RPM's = higher oil pressure.

Now, if your oil level is going up that only means one thing: coolant in the oil, which is head or intake gaskets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz