OEM / Stock Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

easterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have searched the forum for an answer, but have not been successful. Not surprisingly, most of the exhaust threads discuss improving performance, however, our Denali is primarily driven by my wife with the kids, so I would like to simply replace the muffler, which has developed a small hole at the seam.

What is the best muffler install to retain the stock sound? I'd also like to retain the stock tailpipe and tip. Essentially, just want to replace the muffler body. I installed a Walker Quietflow on another vehicle and it had to be repalced twice due to rust, so I'd like better quality than I've experienced with the Walker.

Thanks in advance

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If/when my factory muffler ever needs replacing, I'm buying another one from GM. At this point it's lasted 10 years and 144k miles - I'd pay good money to get a replacement that will do the same exact thing.

OP
OP
E

easterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I felt the same, but $700-800 for a muffler seems high, and one can buy a decent cat back or custom stainless exhaust for that price, I think.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I felt the same, but $700-800 for a muffler seems high, and one can buy a decent cat back or custom stainless exhaust for that price, I think.

That Walker Quiet Flow is advertised as stainless steel, and it rusted out... twice. Not sure you and I have the same definition of "decent". Seems like a case of "penny wise, pound foolish" if you're replacing a cheap muffler multiple times instead of getting one good one that will last.

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/products/mufflers-muffler-assemblies/quiet-flow-ss

OP
OP
E

easterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Walker Quiet Flow is advertised as stainless steel, and it rusted out... twice. Not sure you and I have the same definition of "decent". Seems like a case of "penny wise, pound foolish" if you're replacing a cheap muffler multiple times instead of getting one good one that will last.

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/products/mufflers-muffler-assemblies/quiet-flow-ss

Not sure where you read that I consider the Walker a decent stainless muffler. My position is that while the OEM muffler has lasted 10 years for me as well, for the $700-800 price one could purchase a decent cat back (ie, magnaflow, not corsa), or from what I've read on this forum, one could have a muffler shop custom make a stainless exhaust system. Both options result in new parts from the cat back.

In terms of the OEM quality, I see you live in Texas, so I would assume your muffler is not subject to the harsh winters. My muffler developed a hole in the last month, which not surprisingly occurred after a few months of driving my daughter to school which is only a few blocks from the house. This truck is a 2006 which has 75k miles and never made daily, short trips, which I suspect contributed to or caused the muffler to rot from the inside. My point is, while 10 years for a muffler does seem like a long time, I wonder if our respective experiences is based on location and use of the vehicle.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What is the best muffler install to retain the stock sound? I'd also like to retain the stock tailpipe and tip. Essentially, just want to replace the muffler body. I installed a Walker Quietflow on another vehicle and it had to be repalced twice due to rust, so I'd like better quality than I've experienced with the Walker.

Thanks in advance

This is what I read: quality = stainless, and Walker = stainless. I get that not all "stainless steel" is made equal, but obviously you've already had problems with stainless so I wonder why you'd want to go back to the same material.

You're definitely on to something about the environment and the corrosion issues you face in the north. If any muffler you install is going to rust out in a few years, then I'll admit it might be better to just buy a cheap muffler to save yourself some cost in the long run.

OP
OP
E

easterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I read: quality = stainless, and Walker = stainless. I get that not all "stainless steel" is made equal, but obviously you've already had problems with stainless so I wonder why you'd want to go back to the same material.

You're definitely on to something about the environment and the corrosion issues you face in the north. If any muffler you install is going to rust out in a few years, then I'll admit it might be better to just buy a cheap muffler to save yourself some cost in the long run.

Oh, gotcha. No, definitely do not consider Walker quality stainless, especially after my experience. I have a CJ7 with a Borla cat back, which I consider a good stainless exhaust.
Yeah, the weather is an issue in the North - for me and vehicles. However, and I am embarrassed to admit this, it appears the hole I thought the muffler had is the weep hole. In 10 years of ownership, I have never noticed this hole, nor has there ever been puddles under the truck like there was this past weekend. My wife, who primarily drives the truck, was the first to notice the puddles and commented on them.
At the risk of embarrassment, maybe this "discovery" of mine can help someone else, and now I have a few more dollars to put towards the Arnott air shocks that I know have to be installed to replace the leaking shocks.
Weather aside, I would like to buy a quality muffler and wanted to explore options other than OEM, but I know what OEM costs bc I had the same thoughts as you about the quality.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the best news ever! Don't be embarrassed. It's always good when something you thought was an issue, turns out to be the thing working as it should.

FYI for anyone following/reading this thread:

http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...-coming-out-of-the-exhaust-of-the-car-signify

As described, the water coming out of the tail pipe is a natural occurrence of the combustion process. You will usually see it coming out of the tail pipe when the engine and exhaust system of the vehicle is not completely warmed up. When it does become completely warmed up, you won't see it any more, because it comes out as steam (well, you'll see it in the winter time if it's cold enough, but you get the idea).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtidd

Latest posts