OEM Power Running Boards working intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich16LTZ

Reaction score
2016 Tahoe LTZ - first started on the passenger side, sometimes after closing the door you could hear the running board go in, then back out again. Other times after parking, it would remain out after closing the door. Now it's also doing it on the driver's side - doesn't always go back in after parking/exiting. Anyone know what controls these? I'd rather not have to take it to the dealership if it's something simple I can fix/replace on my own. Vehicle is out of warranty period.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have their own control module. It’s located on the driver side mounted to the power step frame. The running board conceals it when stowed. If you replace it, I don’t think it needs to be programmed, but may need an ignition cycle and/or opening/closing the doors.

I’ve heard of dirt causing power running boards to do what you described. Some have had luck with a good cleaning of the articulating parts and then lubrication.

You could always start with the old master reset and disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so for any residual power to drain.

Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aggie76

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I had the module replaced under warranty a couple years ago when mine were acting weird like yours. It’s been fine until this past week and it’s started again.

We stress them with our severe winters with the snow and ice but they handle it. Guess I need to do some experimenting again.

brucebruce45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure they are clean and greased up really good. Mine did this and they were dirty and I regressed them and they work like new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM