Not sure this is going to work out (considering selling after 3 weeks)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with OP. I’ve got an ‘03 2500HD with 300k miles, and I can do a LOT of resto-mod work to it for a lot less than the $70grand it would take to replace it...and I just might like it better anyhow. No nannies, no tracking, no ding-****-whistle-bell-touch screen-self navigation-steering correction-lane change alerting-down hill braking-automatic headlight dimming crap.

wendal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess, to each his own... I bought my 21 Yukon Denali after driving my 07 Yukon SLT for 13 years. The Magnetic Ride Control alone was worth what I paid... This vehicle rides better than any other vehicle I've ever owned, cars included... I definitely have turned off most of the nag bells and auto assist features, but there's no way I'd go back to my 07, bumpy ride, solid back end, low tech beast. And I loved that truck. I love this one more... The 10 speed transmission does have some quirks. My issue there is the shift from first to second gear during acceleration, where it seems to die during that shift, unless I step down hard... I also don't like all the sequestering of the exhaust, with the flaps before and after the muffler, but I've already taken care of that. And for those talking about getting a tuner, the 21 and ups are LOCKED DOWN. I've been waiting / hoping for a Pulsar LT for it, but it doesn't look like one is coming. Last but certainly not least, having the 6.2 engine ties you to premium gas, which is because of the Russia situation over $4 / gal.

But, even with all the things I don't like about my 21, THERE'S NO WAY I'D GO BACK. The world moves forward. Time marches on. I am glad I got the 21 and not the 22, so I'm not tied to Google, but I have an android phone anyway, so it doesn't much matter... Yes, I have location services turned off, but I am aware that they still are "on".

I understand where you're coming from, not liking all the tech, but some tech is REALLY GOOD...

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a programmer for it and it will change how the transmission shifts. I used a Diablo with e Lew Tune but I know a sponsor hear Black Bear also offers them.
No programmers or tuning available yet for a 21+

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess, to each his own... I bought my 21 Yukon Denali after driving my 07 Yukon SLT for 13 years. The Magnetic Ride Control alone was worth what I paid... This vehicle rides better than any other vehicle I've ever owned, cars included... I definitely have turned off most of the nag bells and auto assist features, but there's no way I'd go back to my 07, bumpy ride, solid back end, low tech beast. And I loved that truck. I love this one more... The 10 speed transmission does have some quirks. My issue there is the shift from first to second gear during acceleration, where it seems to die during that shift, unless I step down hard... I also don't like all the sequestering of the exhaust, with the flaps before and after the muffler, but I've already taken care of that. And for those talking about getting a tuner, the 21 and ups are LOCKED DOWN. I've been waiting / hoping for a Pulsar LT for it, but it doesn't look like one is coming. Last but certainly not least, having the 6.2 engine ties you to premium gas, which is because of the Russia situation over $4 / gal.

But, even with all the things I don't like about my 21, THERE'S NO WAY I'D GO BACK. The world moves forward. Time marches on. I am glad I got the 21 and not the 22, so I'm not tied to Google, but I have an android phone anyway, so it doesn't much matter... Yes, I have location services turned off, but I am aware that they still are "on".

I understand where you're coming from, not liking all the tech, but some tech is REALLY GOOD...
I agree.. I still own a vehicle from 2004 and while it is a dependable beast, It is an Archaic beast. No Bluetooth, no rear camera, no remote start, No screen or nav of any sort. CD player, two levers and a dial for the whole HVAC system. I don't like all nannies either but I will admit as I get older.. safety devices and warnings have saved my noodle a few times.
All in all. I love my 21 with all its features and comfort. I only keep vehicles about 5-6 years, as about each time I turn them over, there are some new really solid advances that are really worth having.... I don't care if they "Track" me, my life is not that interesting, they won't learn much....

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Premium fuel for the 6.2 is recommended, but not required. My wife put 130k miles on her last denali with regular gas…ran great, got great fuel economy, never heard one single spark knock….no issues at all. Same regular ol gas has been going in her ‘22 high country as well.

easymoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had my 2022 suburban rst 6.2 for 3 weeks and 1400 miles It’s very nice and I want to like this truck but then I drove my ‘98 today for the first time since I got it and now I have a problem.

I can’t really deal with the way the computer and the transmission interface, primarily. When I floor it for a second and take my foot off the gas, it holds at 4 then 3k rpm for what feels like 5 seconds plus. I don’t need 10 gears and a computer playing with them. And all of the chimes. Or the auto stop or collision warning, automatic e brake etc. all of the things I was afraid I could not get used to, I can’t seem to get used to.

I think the computers are too much for me and I want a clean 1999 suburban with 100k miles or less and my cash back. If you want to buy it PM me I am considering my options. It’s gray the color is great.
How about getting a programmer and changing the way it shifts? I have a 04 and hated it for a while the programmer made a big difference in changing the shift points. Your tranny is setup for eco not fun. You could change that with a programmer. No idea abouut something that new but on an 04 the tow/haul is another set of presets. You can change to whatever makes you happy. So could have a normal shifts and economy when in normal drive but something more aggressive/funwhen you push the towhaul button

wendal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about getting a programmer and changing the way it shifts? I have a 04 and hated it for a while the programmer made a big difference in changing the shift points. Your tranny is setup for eco not fun. You could change that with a programmer. No idea abouut something that new but on an 04 the tow/haul is another set of presets. You can change to whatever makes you happy. So could have a normal shifts and economy when in normal drive but something more aggressive/funwhen you push the towhaul button
As stated earlier, the 21's are locked down. No programmers available...

Reaction score
This is why I'm in the process of restoring my '91 4wd Suburban to be used as a daily driver. Found it out in Calif last year for $2200. Another 3K for a repaint, 1K for wheels/tires, 1200 for interior refurb. No computers, no onstar tracking, no auto stop. Besides being better looking than any of the new crap.

R Black

Reaction score
I don't have a '21, I have a '20 but I felt I could shed some light on this given it seems like other than losing a solid truck rear diff, column shift, ign switch in column and the sheet metal and entire body is completely different I though they might be similar ... heh heh ...

Prior to owning this 2020 I had no car newer than my 96 Tahoe. Including a '74 (cold dead hands) Cutlass.

It takes A LOT of getting used to. Takes quite awhile but there are some features you may learn to like.

I have the six speed. I noticed it seems almost as if the fastest acceleration is accomplished at less than full throttle from say.... a 15 to 30 mph running start.

Arguments against selling;
You'll take a huge hit. Money-wise.
(Though at 1400 it's hardly broken in so that's good, but I hope you didn't floor it until you had at least 800 on it. I've floored mine maybe four times in 14,000 mi.)

Gas mileage will go back down to around 16mpg overland vs 23+.

Arguments for selling - Getting old GMT400;
Your visibility and awareness of other vehicles will increase 50%
(If the '22 is anything like the '15 - '20 gen. visibility is APPALLINGLY BAD, My front 'A' Pillars are thicker than Hillary's thighs.)

You'll shed about 1100 lbs in curb weight
Your around town gas mileage may actually increase with a good used GMT400

Your piece of mind may increase on general 'drop it in the mud and it still fires' principles.

You'll feel more in command of a traditional vehicle and more confident you could thrash it if needed.

Your interior load volume will go back up about 25 - 30%.

Holy! ... I guess I just laid down a good argument to sell.

I'm stickin' with my 2020 for now ... going to change fluids on an severely shortend interval, and get used to gymnastics of contorting my neck and swiveling my torso while checking my surroundings. The fact it has something like a 9.5" rear, an actual 2 speed TC, a shift lever, etc. is enough old school to keep me in it's drivers seat especially compared to the condition of what I had.

Wish you luck if you intend to sell, OR if you intend to keep it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman