no start 1998 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
HI,I am new to this forum,have been trying for 2 weeks on how to fix my 1998 chevy Tahoe but so far have not anything to solve no start problem this is what has been
done so far.
Replaced the cap,rotor,icm,computer,has 1/4 of fuel,manifold pressure sensor,plug wires,it will crank over and run for about 3 seconds,poured a little fuel in to intake and it will run,it has 60lbs fuel pressure when key is turned on then drops to 57lbs when key is turned off.
The reason the computer was changed was because it was jumped started i figured it was done wrong and fried computer,the only thing that has not been changed was CPS AND fuel pump and coil.
What else could it be that i am not aware of any ideas would be appreciated,thank,s
the security light is on was told that if that is lit up Tahoe will run about 3 seconds then shut off.
there was a procedure where you turnkey on for 10 minutes and do this 3 times it will shut off security system.and vehicle will start or if you want to go off on the deep end there is a wire on the left side of column that you can cut and it is suppose to totally disable security system.

1998Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through this with my '98 about 6 months ago. Bottom line was I had some bad wire(s) in the steering column harness. The reset procedure (short term) is the 10 min fix you referred to. I'd have to look up the exact procedure but it's something like this: Turn key to run, leave on for 10 min and security light will go out. Turn ignition off, turn back on but don't try to start and security light will stay on. Leave ignition on for 10 min and light will go off, turn off and repeat again. After the light goes out the 3rd time you can start the truck and it should run.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm sytem, aftermarket keyless entry, or a trailer brake? I picked up a spare steering column harness after I replaced mine.

OP
OP
B

badtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
there are no market items on this vehicle,the only thing that was done to it was pulling out stock radio,but installing a replacement yet.
is it even possible to totally remove security system so i do not have this problem ever again.
i have checked on youtube and some of ideas on how to eliminate security system are a little scary if you do not much electrical wiring.
i was thinking since there if there was anti-theft hook up to the radio there might be a way to connect 2 wires together and fool the ecm into thinking everything is all right and this problem with the security system would never raise it,s ugly head again just a thought.
sent vehicle to garage to get it fixed

1998Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can have the security feature programmed out of the ECM via an aftermarket tune. A lot of the other fixes seemed a bit sketchy to me as they rely on the system defaulting to fail-enable mode. There are 3 main components: Passlock module, harness, and hall effect sensor/signal generator in the steering column.

Keep us posted on what the shop says as well as the repair cost if you don't mind. Wife & I were guesstimating what the repair cost would have been had I taken it in.

OP
OP
B

badtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
we got are Tahoe back from the shop,we had bought a computer from a wrecking yard that did not work well,but we lucked out and still had the original computer which they put back in and it appeared there was nothing wrong with it could have been a whole lot worse if we had to use the computer out of our vehicle as a core charge.
it appears that the cost for what they did was about $150.00 and they used the same procedure where you turn your key on 3 times,but i was told some times that does not work.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
because that is an auto learning function when you are sensed replacing one of 3 components, one of which is the pcm. you just happened to fall in that function.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesertGator

Latest posts