No Rear Defroster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78mc-bbc

Reaction score
So on my 04' Suburban my rear defroster has never worked since i've owned the truck. The fuse is fine, the rear wiper works fine, the rear wire connectors are still connected to the glass, the mirrors still defrost when i hit the button.

Is there something else i can check?

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
Check the individual lines themselves that go across the window. You may have some that are damaged. If they are, the autoparts store sells a repair kit for it.

OP
OP
78mc-bbc

78mc-bbc

Reaction score
Is there a relay for the rear defroster that can be bad? if so where is it located so i can check it out?

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
There's a relay box under the hood on the driver side front. Not sure if there's one there for the defroster but there's a diagram under the cover.

Zigger21

Reaction score
So on my 04' Suburban my rear defroster has never worked since i've owned the truck. The fuse is fine, the rear wiper works fine, the rear wire connectors are still connected to the glass, the mirrors still defrost when i hit the button.

Is there something else i can check?

If you have an ohm meter you can check each individual line for continuity. There may be a break at the beginning of the circuit then its an easy fix just use defroster repair kit which is $1.99 at Napa. I hope its something simple like that

OP
OP
78mc-bbc

78mc-bbc

Reaction score
There's a relay box under the hood on the driver side front. Not sure if there's one there for the defroster but there's a diagram under the cover.

The diagram under the fuse box does not show a relay for the rear defroster, only a fuse which is fine. But if i look up a rear defroster relay at napa or other parts stores it shows one, but no location for it?

OP
OP
78mc-bbc

78mc-bbc

Reaction score
ok i found the relay it is under the dash in a small box where the plug for the trailer brakes harness is located. i replaced the relay just have to check to see if it works now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greygranny