No power to anything. Any Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motown 454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Guy's I have a 99 Tahoe 5.7, 2 door, 4x4 It has a new battery for a bout a month. It has been fine but I let it sit for a few days and when I went back I have no power to anything. I checked the battery fuse under the hood and its good. Where else is there a fuse to check ? The fuseable link from the battery looks good not crispy. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Wayne

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
you have a battery draw when the truck is off.

I had one on my yukon once, mine was a broken vanity mirror cover that left the lights on and the truck would be dead after few days.

Do you know how to use a multimeter?

OP
OP
M

Motown 454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't have a meter I recharged the battery and just put it in and still no power to anything. No small sparks when I reconnected the neg. cable.
I just went out to the truck and noticed the pass side mirror cover is loose. I fixed it temporarily .

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Motown 454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its 1-1/2 years old I know that means nothing but when I put the new battery in I watched and voltage was always good.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if you do not get any kinda of sparking at all when connecting the neg terminal, take off both and perhaps clean them to see if that helps.

OP
OP
M

Motown 454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the battery out both terminals are clean.
Sorry for the late replies family in from California keeping me busy.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
check your block to frame grounds on right of engine and ground connections on fender wall right next to battery. there is only one cable that goes from battery to the primary power box under the hood and it runs across the radiator. if you do get a tester of some sort and it shows full battery voltage at the mounting post for that wire on the power box then the issue would likely be in the box itself.

OP
OP
M

Motown 454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked the grounds the weren't bad but cleaned them anyway. I got it running with the battery charged and a jump. I took it to sears and had the battery tested they said its good. They also checked my alternator its putting out 13.6 volts. Now I'm going to concentrate on a new positive cable.
Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan