No locking fuel door this generation??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After over a year of ownership, I just barely realized that the fuel door on my 23 suburban doesn't lock. I have always had my key on me when opening and figured it locked/unlocked using the same mechanism as the doors when it detects the fob.

Is fuel theft not a thing anymore?

Is getting a locking lid the only way to protect against it - eliminating the convenience of the lidless tank?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My NBS has a screen at the bottom of the fill tube where it connects to the tank. Wonder if yours does? Maybe stick a small hose down it and see how far it can go.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After over a year of ownership, I just barely realized that the fuel door on my 23 suburban doesn't lock. I have always had my key on me when opening and figured it locked/unlocked using the same mechanism as the doors when it detects the fob.

Is getting a locking lid the only way to protect against it - eliminating the convenience of the lidless tank?
Anymore, if someone is going to steal gas, they will likely just drill a hole in the bottom of the tank.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kind of wish it had a locking mechanism, or like the Honda's I have owned, a cable to a lever near the hood release...

I have personally never had any issues, but some friend's had their Acadia parked in the driveway and some vandals put sugar and eggs in the gas tank one night. Was about a $6000 bill to have the fuel tank dropped, drained, cleaned, new filler tube, new fuel pump, and a few other things. Insurance covered it, but regardless...$10 worth of a cable and lever would prevent this stuff.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

go ahead and try to siphon some fuel out and let us know how it goes.
Like mentioned already a few pokes with a ice pick or some type of tool is going to be 100X easier
same goes for trying to pour something harmful in, easier perhaps but unless you know there is a 2nd flap it's not going to go easy.
you need a long enough funnel just to add injector cleaner (without it taking an hour to do)
the experienced person with time and no threat will just slide under and remove the fill tube
this isn't the 70's when you could just stick a garden hose in, it won't even fit

OP
OP
navyseal334

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go ahead and try to siphon some fuel out and let us know how it goes.
Like mentioned already a few pokes with a ice pick or some type of tool is going to be 100X easier
same goes for trying to pour something harmful in, easier perhaps but unless you know there is a 2nd flap it's not going to go easy.
you need a long enough funnel just to add injector cleaner (without it taking an hour to do)
the experienced person with time and no threat will just slide under and remove the fill tube
this isn't the 70's when you could just stick a garden hose in, it won't even fit
Fair point and some reassurance.

I haven't read into fuel theft tactics since I was younger as I've had vehicles with locking doors for years ( a la what @WalleyeMikeIII indicated - 08 Honda Accord with a lever (push for gas, pull for trunk) and a 08 Toyota Highlander (gas door unlock on the lower left dash).

The vandalism bit still makes me wish for the inconvenience of having to push a button to change my gas as insurance against some idiot feeling he needs to vent his frustration with life by adding something to a fuel tank. It's enough of a stress making sure my wife remembers the suburban takes diesel.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair point and some reassurance.

I haven't read into fuel theft tactics since I was younger as I've had vehicles with locking doors for years ( a la what @WalleyeMikeIII indicated - 08 Honda Accord with a lever (push for gas, pull for trunk) and a 08 Toyota Highlander (gas door unlock on the lower left dash).

The vandalism bit still makes me wish for the inconvenience of having to push a button to change my gas as insurance against some idiot feeling he needs to vent his frustration with life by adding something to a fuel tank. It's enough of a stress making sure my wife remembers the suburban takes diesel.
looks like there is a janky one out there
also he uses a pretty thin camera cable for the video and can't get it to go all the way to the tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attempt22