No instrument lighting but other dashboard lights work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silky28

Reaction score
Hey all,

so I’ve long had an issue with the instrument cluster lights where some areas would we darker than others...and if I tapped on the cluster the sim lights would often brighten. I’ve not driven the truck in a year as I was out of the country, and now I have no instrument lights at all!

the other dashboard lights work but the instrument em t cluster is completely dark. The gauges do work.

any ideas?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a ground, you can try replugging the cluster. Recommend you get the service manual and physically check grounds.

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Ok so I think I figured it out - all of the lights on the actual instrument cluster light circuit have burned out.

I removed and disassembled the cluster and jumped the individual lights with a 9v battery - the turn signals lit right up but the instrument lights did nothing. I then partially reassembled the cluster, plugged it into the truck and made the headlights come on. I then tested the voltage to the non working lights and got about 14v on each.

If I’ve got 14v at the light but the light is not working it must be the actual led that is the problem.

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Got it al fixed. I used the led-strip method. Got a 12v LED strip with double sided backing tape on Amazon for about $15. I cut enough of the strip so that I could stick it around the inside of that white cover inside the instrument panel and soldered the end to where one of the lights was on the instrument panel circuit board.

Worked out really well and is super bright. Only 2 minor issues: 1) the light is brighter at the bottom of the speedometer (both high and low mph) 2) the dimmer function does not work as well. Other than that it was a super easy job with great results.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear you got it worked out.
If you ever get time, and the desire, you could just replace the bulbs with LED bulbs and keep your dimmer option. That way it won't throw light everywhere like a strip.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are several vids on youtube that show how to add a little extra solder to make the whole thing better, as there are many joints that like to crack and loose connection.

I just had to do this with mine last week, I had illumination and idiot lights, but no gauges, mileage, prndl . once I did everything worked better. and I didn't even upgrade to led illumination or do anything crazy, just having it all working again was nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz