No headlights (Low beam) !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

I was at a friends house tonight and I left to head to another party. The sun was almost down. As it got darker, I realized that I couldn't see as well as normal. I pulled off the road and noticed that my low-beam headlights were not working.

I cam home, popped the hood and began to swap out fuses (20A) with other fuses that I did not need as much as headlights (like rear windshield washer). To my surprise, the headlights never came on.

Anyone ever have this happen? More importantly, any ideas as to what may be up? If I remember correctly the low beams are in slots [16] and [11], both (20A).

Kind regards,
Jason

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Switch? Bulbs, maybe one was already out and the second one just went? Are you sure you put good fuses in the correct place?

Reaction score
Make sure the switch is still on auto mode. Try turning the switch to the other settings and see what happens.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
Make sure the switch is still on auto mode. Try turning the switch to the other settings and see what happens.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

I have already done that. :-(

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so more details??
high beams working?
instrument cluster lights working?
tail lights?
marker lights?
blinkers?
if everything else is working then you have one or more bad low beam bulbs, bulb harness/connector or relays (in fuse box under the hood) or you have a bad ground in the low beam's
if you have no high or low beam then perhaps a bad light switch, luckily there rather cheap

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
so more details??
high beams working?
instrument cluster lights working?
tail lights?
marker lights?
blinkers?
if everything else is working then you have one or more bad low beam bulbs, bulb harness/connector or relays (in fuse box under the hood) or you have a bad ground in the low beam's
if you have no high or low beam then perhaps a bad light switch, luckily there rather cheap

Thank you all for your responses.

ALL electronic components aside from low beams work. There are (3), what I would call "notables" about all of this.

1. I had my car washed yesterday. (I am sure this had little if anything to do with this, but thought I'd mention it)
2. When I got the vehicle it already had 1. a trailer brake installed, additional fog lamps installed. (I cut the wires to the fog lamps and taped off the wires underneath very, very securely)
3. The passenger side front electric seat motor would only tilt the seat backwards, but it would not return to the upright position. I pulled off the seat back, found the motor, cut the wires, reversed the wires, and then twist-capped them off. Then the seat would tilt up, but not back. I was fine with this as I got the seat to the correct position and told the family and no one touches the adjustment. This was over a year ago. BUT the car wash place did drive that seat all the way forward to vacuum. This had not been done in quite a while--or ever. I drove the seat back to the standard position once I got back in my Tahoe.

So, high beams work, factory fog lamps work, and as of the day before yesterday I had "both" low beams working fine. To think that both bulbs blew at the same time, to me, seems like a stretch.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses.

ALL electronic components aside from low beams work. There are (3), what I would call "notables" about all of this.

1. I had my car washed yesterday. (I am sure this had little if anything to do with this, but thought I'd mention it)
2. When I got the vehicle it already had 1. a trailer brake installed, additional fog lamps installed. (I cut the wires to the fog lamps and taped off the wires underneath very, very securely)
3. The passenger side front electric seat motor would only tilt the seat backwards, but it would not return to the upright position. I pulled off the seat back, found the motor, cut the wires, reversed the wires, and then twist-capped them off. Then the seat would tilt up, but not back. I was fine with this as I got the seat to the correct position and told the family and no one touches the adjustment. This was over a year ago. BUT the car wash place did drive that seat all the way forward to vacuum. This had not been done in quite a while--or ever. I drove the seat back to the standard position once I got back in my Tahoe.

So, high beams work, factory fog lamps work, and as of the day before yesterday I had "both" low beams working fine. To think that both bulbs blew at the same time, to me, seems like a stretch.

As for the seat, I would suspect a faulty seat switch. These are known to fail and are easy to change for $70.

Have you swapped relays for your low beams? Do you see any signs of corrosion in your fuse block under the hood? I believe it is @Doubeleive that advocates a controlled pop to the fuse block under the hood.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote relay if I was guessing. Possible corrosion on the legs, or corrosion in the fuse box like Wade mentioned.

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
I am going to go by the auto parts store and buy 2-3 relays. They appear to be cheap. This seems to be the most common suggestion (and the only one that makes sense to me). I will also, give a controlled "pop" to the fuse box for what it's worth. Thanks again everyone. I will post updates later today.

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
So....I went to three auto parts stores locally and NONE of them had the relays. They wanted between $14.99 and $21.99 for them, to boot. They told me they could order them and that they would be there on Tuesday. So I dialed up my Amazon prime account and ordered 4 of them for $30 and some change ($7.99 each) and they will be on my doorstep on Tuesday.

It is so hard for me to believe that a vehicle that ran for 6-7 years and sold millions would not be a stock item for the auto parts stores. As as much as I prefer to support brick & mortar retail, that price was not even close!

I will update you all on Tuesday evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts