No headlights (Low beam) !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
...I am completely speechless. I got to thinking about the suggestion of a controlled "pop", so I took my flashlight outside, popped the hood, and took a hammer and gave a firm but controlled "tap" and voila....my lights came back on just as pretty as you please. Still cannot believe this. OMG!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...I am completely speechless. I got to thinking about the suggestion of a controlled "pop", so I took my flashlight outside, popped the hood, and took a hammer and gave a firm but controlled "tap" and voila....my lights came back on just as pretty as you please. Still cannot believe this. OMG!
Smacked the relay or fuse box?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good to hear!

Kelly Craft

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

I was at a friends house tonight and I left to head to another party. The sun was almost down. As it got darker, I realized that I couldn't see as well as normal. I pulled off the road and noticed that my low-beam headlights were not working.

I cam home, popped the hood and began to swap out fuses (20A) with other fuses that I did not need as much as headlights (like rear windshield washer). To my surprise, the headlights never came on.

Anyone ever have this happen? More importantly, any ideas as to what may be up? If I remember correctly the low beams are in slots [16] and [11], both (20A).

Kind regards,
Jason
Jason,

I recently had the same issue with my 08 Yukon, that is what brought me to this forum. My low beams went out while driving down the interstate an night!! took me a a while to figure out I could just hit the high beams and go on, just had to let everybody get mad at me. I fought this for a long time. They would come and go for a while then just stopped completely. I tried everything and scoured all of the forums I could find no luck. I even went to a salvage yard and bought the guts for the fuse/relay box and swapped it still nothing. Eventually I figured out the BCM supplies the ground input to all of the relays in the relay box to trigger them so i ran a jumper wire from the fog light relay to the low beam relay then i just had to turn on fog lights to get low beams on. I went like that for a while. Then other things began to stop working, amp for radio, blower motor, and rear turn signal sometimes worked sometimes didn't . Noticed the gremlins would usually come after a car wash. I got very determined one Saturday and tore into it. What I found was under the the fuse relay box the wire loom splits and goes several directions therefor the plastic loom cover ends and new ones go other directions. right at point it lays on the raw edge of the fender. I had 3 wires that were broken a several that were worn bare. I repaired all of the damage and taped it up. Then I got a piece rubber hose about 12" long and split it down the side and slipped it over the sharp edge of the fender. Wala no more problems and everything worked as it should. You have to take the whole fuse assembly out and get it out of the way then lift the wire harness up to look under it.

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
Jason,

I recently had the same issue with my 08 Yukon, that is what brought me to this forum. My low beams went out while driving down the interstate an night!! took me a a while to figure out I could just hit the high beams and go on, just had to let everybody get mad at me. I fought this for a long time. They would come and go for a while then just stopped completely. I tried everything and scoured all of the forums I could find no luck. I even went to a salvage yard and bought the guts for the fuse/relay box and swapped it still nothing. Eventually I figured out the BCM supplies the ground input to all of the relays in the relay box to trigger them so i ran a jumper wire from the fog light relay to the low beam relay then i just had to turn on fog lights to get low beams on. I went like that for a while. Then other things began to stop working, amp for radio, blower motor, and rear turn signal sometimes worked sometimes didn't . Noticed the gremlins would usually come after a car wash. I got very determined one Saturday and tore into it. What I found was under the the fuse relay box the wire loom splits and goes several directions therefor the plastic loom cover ends and new ones go other directions. right at point it lays on the raw edge of the fender. I had 3 wires that were broken a several that were worn bare. I repaired all of the damage and taped it up. Then I got a piece rubber hose about 12" long and split it down the side and slipped it over the sharp edge of the fender. Wala no more problems and everything worked as it should. You have to take the whole fuse assembly out and get it out of the way then lift the wire harness up to look under it.
I feel so stupid! First of all, when I "tapped" the fuse box and thought it worked...well it didn't. Turns out, I had the high beams on when I made my confirmation. When I got in the Tahoe this morning, yes the lights came on, but they were on bright. When I pulled the yoke back to go to low-beams, the lights went off. Now I am back to waiting on the relays to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I will not have to go to the depths that you did for a fix, but thank you for the story as that may be my next steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts