Newbie here, think I just screwed up, big time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IH8ZOMBIES

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to Tahoes (my last car was a 74 jeep cherokee).
I bought a new headunit for my hoe and I got it installed, hooked the battery back up and tested it, worked great. I started to adjust the angle and heard a pop and now the radio and the gauges and my auto headlights all don't work. The headlights will work if I flip them on manually, the gauges light up and all but the needles do not move. The info center does not work nor does the little screen that tells you what gear you are in. The gauge cluster is like 2 months old so i know they are fine unless I just fried them all.
It also seems like my battery is being drained so I dis-connected it again.

Did I just cost myself a bunch of money?

Thanks for any help

BTW its a 2000 with the 5.3 if that helps

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would double check the wiring and fuses. It sounds like a wiring issue.

OP
OP
I

IH8ZOMBIES

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
any idea which fuses? I checked both the one inside and the one under the hood that were for the radio.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I've sorta been there. Sounds like the wires touched. Check all of your fuses and replace the one that blew. Also check your wiring and use electrical tape so you don't cause another short. I doubt you fried anything important because for me it was just a fuse that also killed all my inside lights and outside ones and when I got my new fuse in and corrected my wiring it all worked perfectly and havnt had any problems

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has to be a fuse somewhere. You may need to check fuses with an ohm meter, I have had fuses look good but end up being blown. Make sure all your wiring is taped good or heat shrinked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekrcannon