New wheels and tires finally

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

temper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nearly a year ago I put on Bilstein 5100's, Z71 springs with 2" lift blocks, and aftermarket torsion keys, in addition to replacing the upper control arms and lower ball joints. I also bought a set of steelies from a GMC, but couldn't justify spending the $$$ on new tires until I absolutely needed them, so I rode around with it jacked up on the stock alloys and 245/75-16 tires.

Last week I finally ordered the tires - Falken Wildpeak AT3 in 285/70-17, painted the wheels, and got them installed along with an alignment. After all the suspension work last year I got it aligned at Mr Tire (never going there again) but they must not have tightened the upper mounts enough because I eventually got negative camber on both front wheels real bad. Now with the new wheels, tires, and proper alignment, she rides like a dream.

I found a set of bowtie center cap stickers on eBay, but I can't decide if I should leave the GMC ones on there. I kind of like the look of the black center with red letters, but the silver Chevy ones have some pop to them.

Tell me what you think:

GMC:

IMG_1988.JPG

Chevy:

IMG_1990.JPG

OP
OP
temper

temper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all. I just stuck the Chevy emblems on with tape for the pic. I’ll probably go ahead and put them on for good....when I feel like doing it. More importantly, when it comes to aesthetics anyway, I really need to paint my rusty ass calipers.

I was ready to just give up on the Tahoe and get a new car. I’ve had a list of little things I need to fix (evap canister, parking brake shoes, new radio), and a couple new ones (rear window motor, rear AC) cropped up recently. When I finally got he money for tires, I thought it might be better to to just put that toward a down payment on a new ride.

But financially it still made sense to try to keep the Tahoe on the road, so I went forward with the tires. A couple days after I got them put on, I got the first compliment on the truck since I bought it two years ago, from a guy driving an 04 Tahoe of the same color. That hit me right in the feelz.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All those problems are easy and relatively cheap to do on your own.

What's wrong with rear ac?

OP
OP
temper

temper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very true. I just haven't bothered with those minor things for a variety of reasons. The radio works fine, I just want bluetooth. Looking at getting a $69 JVC head unit for that. For the evap canister, I actually meant the vapor canister. It threw a code a few months after I bought it (P0440 I think, or something similar). I threw the easy parts at it first, then figured the vapor canister might need to be replaced and bought material (filter material and activated carbon) to actually rebuild it, then I saw that one of the connectors was broken off the canister, and that the previous owner had epoxied it back on there, probably just prior to selling it. Obviously don't need that, it would just be nice to get rid of the stupid CEL finally.

The parking brakes are just waiting until I upgrade to Power Stop. I also need to upgrade the front brakes now with the bigger tires, and plan to get Power Stop components for an 07+ along with stainless steel brake lines to replace the hoses.

As for the rear AC, I posted a thread in the Interior section: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/rear-ac-not-working.106630/. But in a nutshell, it only blows warm air, while the front is ice cold. I've already checked the rear blend door and its actuator, and both are fine.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true. I just haven't bothered with those minor things for a variety of reasons. The radio works fine, I just want bluetooth. Looking at getting a $69 JVC head unit for that. For the evap canister, I actually meant the vapor canister. It threw a code a few months after I bought it (P0440 I think, or something similar). I threw the easy parts at it first, then figured the vapor canister might need to be replaced and bought material (filter material and activated carbon) to actually rebuild it, then I saw that one of the connectors was broken off the canister, and that the previous owner had epoxied it back on there, probably just prior to selling it. Obviously don't need that, it would just be nice to get rid of the stupid CEL finally.

The parking brakes are just waiting until I upgrade to Power Stop. I also need to upgrade the front brakes now with the bigger tires, and plan to get Power Stop components for an 07+ along with stainless steel brake lines to replace the hoses.

As for the rear AC, I posted a thread in the Interior section: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/rear-ac-not-working.106630/. But in a nutshell, it only blows warm air, while the front is ice cold. I've already checked the rear blend door and its actuator, and both are fine.

The evap canister is easy to replace I had to do it on my yukon. The rear ac isn't bad mine was blowing hot in the rear and it turned out to be the blend door. Did you try swapping the actuators? You could have a stuck door too. Mine actually broke but I just plastic welded it back together haha

Rear parking shoes are cake if you're doing the brakes that's an easy add on.

As far as the radio if you have xm do the aux plug I did that for my truck and its holding me over till I have spare funds to get a double din with android auto

OP
OP
temper

temper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah the canister doesn't look difficult, but it's like $100 from Rockauto and while that's not much, I put off things like that to save up for things I really needed, like tires.

I swapped the blend door actuator with the mode door actuator, and the problem stays at the blend door, so both actuators are good. I was able to turn the blend door by pinching the post that the actuator goes on and turning it with my fingertips, so it's not binding. I also pulled the heater core out and looked at the blend door, and it looks fine.

I actually put new rear pads on a few months ago when I got the dreaded metal on metal sound. The rotors looked fine so I just got cheap pads from Autozone and threw them on, knowing that I'll eventually upgrade the rotors and calipers. I should have just done the parking shoes at that time, but was in a hurry to get it on the road.

I don't have XM, but I bought a cassette bluetooth adapter when I first got the truck. I call it my ghetto bluetooth. It works ok, but the rechargeable battery is starting to fade in it so I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a single din head unit. I really want a double din with navigation, but can't really justify spending the money on one.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the canister doesn't look difficult, but it's like $100 from Rockauto and while that's not much, I put off things like that to save up for things I really needed, like tires.

I swapped the blend door actuator with the mode door actuator, and the problem stays at the blend door, so both actuators are good. I was able to turn the blend door by pinching the post that the actuator goes on and turning it with my fingertips, so it's not binding. I also pulled the heater core out and looked at the blend door, and it looks fine.

I actually put new rear pads on a few months ago when I got the dreaded metal on metal sound. The rotors looked fine so I just got cheap pads from Autozone and threw them on, knowing that I'll eventually upgrade the rotors and calipers. I should have just done the parking shoes at that time, but was in a hurry to get it on the road.

I don't have XM, but I bought a cassette bluetooth adapter when I first got the truck. I call it my ghetto bluetooth. It works ok, but the rechargeable battery is starting to fade in it so I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a single din head unit. I really want a double din with navigation, but can't really justify spending the money on one.

I gotcha.

As far as the ac goes. Theres another small box back there that can sometimes be the issue. I just can't think of the name

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts