Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timc9516

Reaction score
Hey so i bought my 03 yukon xl Denali friday and i got it for a steal.

Theres a few things id like to figure out and i was hoping you guys could help me before i go through a world of trouble shooting lol

Both the driver and passenger heated seats when you press the button it just flashes

The compass, temp display, and passenger air bag light flashes like when you turn the truck on randomly while driving

The shift indicator on the dash doesnt show anything at all

Im not quite sure how the rear heated seats work when i press the buttons nothing lights up.

The driver side unlock button doesnt work any tips on how to test to make sure its a switch

And last but not least i noticed there is a decent amount of play in the steering any tips on what it could be

Any help would be much appreciated i left the auto mechanic field 4 years ago and i work on school buses now so its alot different lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first off-welcome to the forum

heated seats- often what happens is over time the wires or harness connectors get hot and melt a little, you will want to pull up the carpet around the bottoms of the seats and take a look at the wires and harness, check for melted stuff or blackened connectors or corrosion inside the harness where they clip together. OR sometimes the little thin heater wires under the seat cover burn up there are replacement kits on the internet

rear view mirror develops bad solder inside, repairable but maybe easier to just grab one out of a junk yard (has to be the same type of mirror so take pictures of the mirror & harness connector to match them up) or take the old one with you to match it up

instrument cluster- the center PRND321 display burns out, repairable, just have to take it apart and put in a new one or find a person that does them locally, check craigslist often there are guys that do cluster repairs as a side job or a speedo shop can do it also.

steering-you will want to get under it and check all the normal stuff, tie rods, pitman arm, linkages

door lock-you will probably have to pull the door panel off and check the switch for functionality with a meter, if the door locks/unlocks with the keyfob then you can probably assume the lock is working fine and it's likely just the switch.

if you google for the gm upfitter guide it has some wiring diagrams that may be helpful

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
first off-welcome to the forum

heated seats- often what happens is over time the wires or harness connectors get hot and melt a little, you will want to pull up the carpet around the bottoms of the seats and take a look at the wires and harness, check for melted stuff or blackened connectors or corrosion inside the harness where they clip together. OR sometimes the little thin heater wires under the seat cover burn up there are replacement kits on the internet

rear view mirror develops bad solder inside, repairable but maybe easier to just grab one out of a junk yard (has to be the same type of mirror so take pictures of the mirror & harness connector to match them up) or take the old one with you to match it up

instrument cluster- the center PRND321 display burns out, repairable, just have to take it apart and put in a new one or find a person that does them locally, check craigslist often there are guys that do cluster repairs as a side job or a speedo shop can do it also.

steering-you will want to get under it and check all the normal stuff, tie rods, pitman arm, linkages

door lock-you will probably have to pull the door panel off and check the switch for functionality with a meter, if the door locks/unlocks with the keyfob then you can probably assume the lock is working fine and it's likely just the switch.

if you google for the gm upfitter guide it has some wiring diagrams that may be helpful

X2

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

You've got quite an initial list of issues to work through. I suggest that you prioritize them in a manner that makes sense for you, and attack them one at a time, until complete.

We are here for you, and folks here love to help you spend your money. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11