New to Yukon not to the site

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BranMo103

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone....I don't think I ever posted up in the intro section since I've joined. I've been lurking on the site for quite sometime, even owned a 2015 Yukon.....just recently I've picked up a 1996 Chevy Tahoe, 2wd 2 door. It's already been lowered, but I think the previous owner just cut the springs....this is supposed to be just my "work" truck to keep from having to drive my diesel truck everyday or so my significant other thinks.......I really plan on turning this into a project truck once I get out of the headache of my 2016 Ford F-350. (yeah I said it, don't crucify me. It truly was a bad decision to get rid of my Chevy Silverado)

Moving right along, I haven't really had a chance to fully go over the truck, from the naked eye....the truck is really clean. No tears in the seats, a small crack on the dash, the headliner could probably stand to be replaced but later down the line I may put a sunroof in it just for fun........Mechanical wise though from what I can see already, it's leaking transmission fluid and I can't really tell from where.....my plan is to get it on jacks this weekend and figure out where that is coming from and how extensive. Next the spongy brakes, I'm ordering a new master cylinder as we speak.

The short list of things I plan on doing relatively soon:
-Replace tires on factory 15" wheels (I'd like to go aftermarket, but I can't justify the expense right now. I may even opt to buy used from Craigslist)
-Replace all speakers and maybe the headunit (actually will be free, gift cards from work will pay for it)
-Replace the interior push clips that hold the panel onto my back door. (ordered from Fleabay and on the way)
-Amp and 2 subs (already have them new and leftover from my other headache of a project - my '66 Caddy. I don't know if I really want to start going that deep with the sound system on a work truck as of this moment though)

Eventually, I'd like to replace the suspension and how it's lowered. I have a knock when I turn hard right. I think that's enough to keep me busy for awhile.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 years for an introduction thread? You need to say hello more often!!!

:bleh:

:thumbsup:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your 1996 Tahoe sounds like a awesome work truck..What happened to your 2015 Yukon? Just wondering.

Even though you have been here for awhile Welcome from Miami Beach Bran Mo!!

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Hello everyone....I don't think I ever posted up in the intro section since I've joined. I've been lurking on the site for quite sometime, even owned a 2015 Yukon.....just recently I've picked up a 1996 Chevy Tahoe, 2wd 2 door. It's already been lowered, but I think the previous owner just cut the springs....this is supposed to be just my "work" truck to keep from having to drive my diesel truck everyday or so my significant other thinks.......I really plan on turning this into a project truck once I get out of the headache of my 2016 Ford F-350. (yeah I said it, don't crucify me. It truly was a bad decision to get rid of my Chevy Silverado)

Moving right along, I haven't really had a chance to fully go over the truck, from the naked eye....the truck is really clean. No tears in the seats, a small crack on the dash, the headliner could probably stand to be replaced but later down the line I may put a sunroof in it just for fun........Mechanical wise though from what I can see already, it's leaking transmission fluid and I can't really tell from where.....my plan is to get it on jacks this weekend and figure out where that is coming from and how extensive. Next the spongy brakes, I'm ordering a new master cylinder as we speak.

The short list of things I plan on doing relatively soon:
-Replace tires on factory 15" wheels (I'd like to go aftermarket, but I can't justify the expense right now. I may even opt to buy used from Craigslist)
-Replace all speakers and maybe the headunit (actually will be free, gift cards from work will pay for it)
-Replace the interior push clips that hold the panel onto my back door. (ordered from Fleabay and on the way)
-Amp and 2 subs (already have them new and leftover from my other headache of a project - my '66 Caddy. I don't know if I really want to start going that deep with the sound system on a work truck as of this moment though)

Eventually, I'd like to replace the suspension and how it's lowered. I have a knock when I turn hard right. I think that's enough to keep me busy for awhile.

Haha, welcome, thats what I did, I joined, and then didn't say anything for 3 years.

buy "Take-off" from a newer GM, get wheels and tires. I did that this year for the price of 4 tires.

good luck!

OP
OP
BranMo103

BranMo103

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your 1996 Tahoe sounds like a awesome work truck..What happened to your 2015 Yukon? Just wondering.

Even though you have been here for awhile Welcome from Miami Beach Bran Mo!!
Thanks Miami-Dade, my financial advisor or other half wanted a new Honda Accord, so we traded it in. It was only 2.5 years old. 31k miles on it. Dealer gave us $30k on the trade, we only owed $16k. She's happy, I'm happy and the note is cheaper which equals more money for my own toys.

Haha, welcome, thats what I did, I joined, and then didn't say anything for 3 years.

buy "Take-off" from a newer GM, get wheels and tires. I did that this year for the price of 4 tires.

good luck!

jarydM, I've been looking for replacements but can't find anything local that I like on Craigslist. I want to put the '15 Denali wheels in Black gloss on it but that's a 6 lug wheel and I haven't figured out how to make that work. I'm thinking adapters but I haven't dug into that too much. I'm trying to buy stuff for my "WORK" truck without it being obvious that I'm spending money on it.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
jarydM, I've been looking for replacements but can't find anything local that I like on Craigslist. I want to put the '15 Denali wheels in Black gloss on it but that's a 6 lug wheel and I haven't figured out how to make that work. I'm thinking adapters but I haven't dug into that too much. I'm trying to buy stuff for my "WORK" truck without it being obvious that I'm spending money on it.

the new wheels work on the old trucks, no adapter needed. I bought mine of Ebay with free shipping, $1000 to my door. already balanced, just had to put them on the truck.

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the new wheels work on the old trucks, no adapter needed. I bought mine of Ebay with free shipping, $1000 to my door. already balanced, just had to put them on the truck.
His truck is so old that the 2WD trucks still had 5 lugs instead of 6.

Welcome!!!

04Huck

"I'd rather be lucky than good"
Reaction score
lol, actual fact. 2WD trucks were 5 lug from 1971 to NBS. Then they all went to 6 lug. I think 60-70 they're all 6 lug too.
From 70-back, it was a mixed bag. You could have 5 or 6 lug, truck arm/coil spring or leaf spring rear suspension in either lug pattern

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk