New to the group with loads of problems - kinda long

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
yargnits

yargnits

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Northern Indiana, the land of annoying lepreachons
The reason why I see many mirrors disconnected or broke is due to a problem with...

Bad, thanks for the comments about the amp. I was going to go that way tonight but I think I'm going to start by removing the wire that goes into the radio for dimming the display and see if that silences the buzz. Since the amp is such a pain to get to, I'm going to mess with that last. If I determine the problem is the amp, I might opt to go aftermarket rather than risking ending up with the same (or worse) problem.

The connector for the autodim is unplugged because it's a different style of connector. The glass has a 2 pin connector and the housing has a 4 pin to accommodate the autodim AND the turn arrow. Either way, I'm not that worried about that. I just want to get rid of the buzzing and alt whine.

While I now know how to avoid the buzz, I hope it's solution also takes care of the alt whine.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry i never saw this.

your 'listen to audio over the radio device'... what is it and where is it wired?

I had a similar issue because the PO had an FM transmitter and an RF headphone transmitter in the center console. Mine was easier to diagnose because it was wired to an on/off switch.

Your mirror issue is probably a result of the custom Valentine install, since the magetometer is always in the mirror itself on Gentex style mirrors. Worst case, you custom install it elsewhere and replace the mirror.

ALSO
You can set the park assist by placing the truck in reverse and aiming the mirrors where you want them. they will then return to that position everytime you reverse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yargnits

yargnits

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Northern Indiana, the land of annoying lepreachons
sorry i never saw this.

your 'listen to audio over the radio device'... what is it and where is it wired?

I had a similar issue because the PO had an FM transmitter and an RF headphone transmitter in the center console. Mine was easier to diagnose because it was wired to an on/off switch.

I've got an Alpine DVD unit in there with the FM transmitter disabled. I'm going to post details tonight about my "whine hunting" in the audio section, so quickly, I need to get to the Bose amp to check some things out and I am hoping doing so isn't too hard.

Your mirror issue is probably a result of the custom Valentine install, since the magetometer is always in the mirror itself on Gentex style mirrors. Worst case, you custom install it elsewhere and replace the mirror.

I was wondering that myself but I've ruled it out. The parts in the mirror are just the guts of a remote display and I don't think it'd cause too much interference. The actual unit is actually in the dash. I noticed it when I was pulling the gage cluster to replace the servos. It's tucked up there pretty good.

I've also tried calibrating the mirror with the valantine off and it didn't help. The one thing I haven't tried is powering off the laser jammer. I have no idea where it is. There's no off switch to it so it comes on with the ignition. I'll pull the fuse on it and see if it will calibrate correctly.

You can set the park assist by placing the truck in reverse and aiming the mirrors where you want them. they will then return to that position everytime you reverse.

That's a great tip! I have it set so that just the passenger side points down and it's aimed pretty good. The driver side (when it was active) practically pointed at the running boards.

aldrinmaclarens29

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to try to say something here without being called Mr. Negativity.

The person that sold this vehicle, sold it for a reason. The custom installs that were done on this vehicle were not done by a real professional - it was done by a butcher who had these great idea's and very little skill level and was not willing to pay anyone to set things straight.

When you mess things up as bad as what they are in your vehicle, after a few things are done wrong and some error codes goes off, the vehicle tends to get defensive and tries to fight off the so called improvements that the previous owner did - kind of like your body trying to fight off the flu.

The noise you hear in the door is the Body Control Module

The gauges might or might not even be at fault. There is no automatic repair that says 100% of the time when you have a problem with the gauge - that it is the stepper motor.

Now I didn't research this far enough to know if this vehicle's all wheel drive unit sends the speed information from a sensor in the transfer case or not.
But there are times when there is problems that is in the transfer case that appears to be speedometer related.

I would suggest either finding someone who does power tuning and have that person look at this vehicle and diagnose all the problems before you start to throw good money after bad at it.

The other thing is - why did you buy it? Didn't you even look at it before you bought it? Did you think that all those things that were wrong were easy fixes and that the previous owner was a dumb ass and didn't know what he had or didn't know what he was doing and that you knew more then he did and figured that you could just take it home and wrap some duct tape over the wires and everything would work? I mean - come on now. Nobody could be that dumb to believe that you could just hack a vehicle up that bad and not have problems.

Custom installs costs thousands of dollars. Even when they are done wrong.

Most times when something is done wrong, other things stops working.
Things like the self dim in the mirrors. So the person that owned the vehicle probably thought that alll he needed to do was change the glass and everything would be a ok. Only when he found out how much stuff costs to replace and even when he tried to replace it - it didn't work, then he just decided to dump it off on some sucker and move on with his / her life.

The most emotional thing about all this is that you never know when the theft lock / Security is going to go off and then the vehicle is going to stop running and you are going to be left someplace. I don't think that it is a question of IF, it is a question of WHEN!

I would take it to a Chevrolet Garage and see how much of the damage they can fix with the TECH II. maybe it is beyond repair - if it does not have the stock radio and stuff. Either way, maybe they can turn some things on and shut some things off and diagnose some of the problems and replace one or two of the modules that I think are probably faulty.

Good Luck with your new truck. I will be praying for you - that your wife makes it home ok while she is driving it.

He's telling the truth. But I do hope he was able to provide an answer to this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh