New to the chevy world, 15 burban ltz, bad struts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
We did take walk in jobs and depending on what was needed, we would do while customer waited or would call them when done. We looked at it like an opportunity to get our name out there with neighborhood shade tree mechanics. Sometimes, it brought bigger paying opportunities into the shop. We did not offer any warranty though for this work. The parts were not ours. Some shops, now days, are so busy that they don't do it.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did take walk in jobs and depending on what was needed, we would do while customer waited or would call them when done. We looked at it like an opportunity to get our name out there with neighborhood shade tree mechanics. Sometimes, it brought bigger paying opportunities into the shop. We did not offer any warranty though for this work. The parts were not ours. Some shops, now days, are so busy that they don't do it.
Makes sense. I’ve noticed that too. A lot of places won’t install customer supplied tires now. So that kinda brings tire rack and all them other tire websites to a lesser value for customers .

But I get it. As a contractor, dealing with customer supplied stuff is a headache. They’ll buy the cheapest product possible not realizing installation is gonna be twice as difficult thus driving contractors away or charging more than labor.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When we did it, we gave no breaks on labor time and no warranty at all. If a customer towed in a torn down repair attempt, we charged at LEAST the full R&R labor time because a good tech remembers what came off as they disassemble. That was made completely clear before anyone touched the rig. If they called first, I told them all the disclaimers over the phone.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had to do it again. I’d buy the shocks and see if I could find a mechanic that would compress the spring and rebuild the shock at a fair price. Then install myself. If it made sense cost wise.

This is exactly what you need to do if you’re not planning to do the work and install yourself.

Buy OEM parts off rockauto (best price on OEM magnaride shocks/struts I’ve found). And find a local shop that will remove and reinstall shocks/struts if you supply your own parts.

There is actually a tire discounters shop close to me that does this.

This will be the most cost affective way.

CHOWDERHEAD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know guys are saying keep the Magneride. For me… Too many complaints and problems with this system. If I get a LTZ with the Z55, first thing I’m doing is the following:

Replace front struts with ZW7
Replace rear coils and shocks with ZW7

For the folks that get confused with the suspension RPO codes and not knowing where to start IF you decide to swap out and want to go with OEM… I’ve already done this once MYSLEF, so I know what has to be done.

So just to recap on the suspension codes and swaps….

Z55 RPO code: Magneride (LTZ trim and Cadillac and optional on LT (I think?)
ZW7 RPO code: This is the standard “Premium Smooth Ride” suspension that is standard on: SSV, LS, LT trim. No air shocks in rear and no magnetic struts in front. From what I noticed, from 2007 and up the rear nivomat shocks were dropped on the ZW7 and replaced with standard shocks. But maybe someone can chime in on that to verify?
Z56 RPO code: PPV ONLY. Police rear shocks, coils, police front struts. From my experience looking up part numbers when I did my Z56 to ZW7 swap, the front coils were the same part number that is used on all the other applications. This was on a 2011 though. So unsure if the same would apply to 15 and up.

And then there is the good ole QUICKSTRUT. I tried this FIRST before I did OEM and the front coil is not up to spec with OEM and the ride height is higher. That’s fine if you want to bring your overall ride height up anyway. Just figure out what you need in the rear to get it level or slight rake to the front.

My advice is KEEP the OEM front coils unless they are trashed and the front is sagging. Pull out the entire assembly and send to local shop to compress coils and put in struts of choice.

As far as the rear goes, if you are dumping your Z55, YOU WILL NEED TO REPLACE COILS AS WELL. Don’t just throw a set of shocks in there with the Z55 coils. They are too weak to take the entire rear weight of the vehicle. Remember, the air shocks from the Z55 assisted in ride height and so Z55 coils were designed to work in conjunction with the air shocks.

Feel free to correct me with any info that may be in accurate.

Chris Mosher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would replace with the assembled strut if your doing it yourself. I replaced mine myself and it was fairly smooth with the right tools and plenty of pre watched YouTube vids. Replace the sway bar bushings while you’re at it.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard good things on the Arnot replacement MRC stuff, and if you want to make the ride smoother but dont mind loosing the sporty feel in corners and braking then do the bypass.

My front struts on my 15 burb just were done at the dealer due to the extended warranty and that paid for itself already. When functioning correctly and new they are pretty good, little tighter than the standard stuff but do a great job in the corners and under hard braking etc. Also help when towing...

And yea the zw7 starting in 2007 dropped that nivomat junk.

OP
OP
C

cdeadly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
20230426_192657.jpg

Update, complained to the dealership I bought it from and they offered to pay half of the shop cost for new struts, I didn't like that, so they offered to buy me new strut assemblies for both sides, they bought some with the magna ride from TRQ.

I put them on myself after watching a YouTube video, it was very easy, the truck recognized the shocks, and it rides like a dream now and sits up a little higher too. Thank you all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexandroid