New paint, no trim, no badges. What's next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzabel

Reaction score
I recently had the truck painted. The horizontal trim on the doors had gotten all lumpy and discolored so I had it removed along with the badges. Now I'm considering what to do next. Add back some new badges (2500, 496, 8100 **)? So far, I've kept the grill. I like to perpetuate the myth that GMC is better and tougher than Chevy (after all, a French name and a bow tie logo doesn't seem very tough), but I like the Denali grills. BTW, that's just frost on the hood, but I admit it's only a 20 ft paint job. Look forward to some opinions, I know you all have them.
IMG_0749.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Would you want to go with a Denali grill? If so, you'd need the front bumper cover for it to look right.5286646_F6EEA0D8-AFF7-E4DD-AF2457AA56B608A1_x.jpg5286646_F6EE9F7B-FD2C-D8C2-C27A1A0DC40B19B1_x.jpg

camaroz1985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, leave everything off. (That's how our 2500 Suburban is now too). I would keep the grille you have too. The Denali front end looks good, but only as a whole (grille insert, shell, lights, and bumper). I wouldn't add just the grille insert.

texas1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How much did it cost to repaint your truck? Who repainted it for you? I have a Blue 2002 Tahoe and want it Black. Your truck looks amazing.

OP
OP
rzabel

rzabel

Reaction score
How much did it cost to repaint your truck? Who repainted it for you? I have a Blue 2002 Tahoe and want it Black. Your truck looks amazing.
It's kind of a long story. I had a semi-professional neighbor paint it. The estimate he quoted was blown out of the water for various reasons and I ended up paying $2400. Cheaper than the "real" shops, but not the deal I expected.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It's kind of a long story. I had a semi-professional neighbor paint it. The estimate he quoted was blown out of the water for various reasons and I ended up paying $2400. Cheaper than the "real" shops, but not the deal I expected.
Too bad--that was his fault. He should've honored his original quote.

OP
OP
rzabel

rzabel

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll take a pass on the badges and keep the grill. I was also thinking about pinstriping. Anyone try DIY with vinyl tape pin stripes?

Last edited:

dreagan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
tahoe.jpg
tahoe-side2.jpg
Late reply on the post...I made the same decision when I first bought my Tahoe. I pulled all of the old badges and side moldings off as they were the most aged/discolored looking items on the exterior. I decided to keep that clean look and did not replace any of the items I removed. To each his own, but again, I think it is a cleaner look to not put those items back in place, and it saves a little money to spend on other mods... :)

Hope that helps!

David