New Member + Bought 2019 Yukon SLE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrathell

Reaction score
Take a look at the engine on both sides where the exhaust manifold attaches to the engine block. There are 4 exhaust ports on each side that the exhaust manifold connects to exhaust the fumes through the exhaust system (catalytic converter, exhaust pipes & mufflers). At each of those 8 mounting points (4 on each side of motor) where the exhaust manifold attaches to the engine, look to see if you have an missing/broken bolts and/or black soot around that port.

I attached a photo and circled in red where to look.

Visually sometimes the bolt is still there but its actually broken further down.

If any bolts are loose, missing or broken or if black soot is present around any of the ports, that could be the source of your ticking sounds.

If it is the case, there are much cheaper and easier ways to fix it rather than removing the exhaust manifolds to remove the broken studs.

Attachments

• yy.jpg
    yy.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
NT Automotive

NT Automotive

Reaction score
Take a look at the engine on both sides where the exhaust manifold attaches to the engine block. There are 4 exhaust ports on each side that the exhaust manifold connects to exhaust the fumes through the exhaust system (catalytic converter, exhaust pipes & mufflers). At each of those 8 mounting points (4 on each side of motor) where the exhaust manifold attaches to the engine, look to see if you have an missing/broken bolts and/or black soot around that port.

I attached a photo and circled in red where to look.

Visually sometimes the bolt is still there but its actually broken further down.

If any bolts are loose, missing or broken or if black soot is present around any of the ports, that could be the source of your ticking sounds.

If it is the case, there are much cheaper and easier ways to fix it rather than removing the exhaust manifolds to remove the broken studs.
Okay. Thank you. I will note this important info with my dealer when I take it in on Wednesday.

I snapped a pic of the RPM today when at a stop light in Drive gear. See attached. Its like 480rpm. Seems low but maybe its normal. When in neutral its 500+rpm. What is the normal RPM once engine has warmed up in Neutral AND Drive?

Ps-I WILL also personally take a look at the exhaust manifold myself too and report back..

Attachments

• 20230130_145858.jpg
    20230130_145858.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
NT Automotive

NT Automotive

Reaction score
I did a quick visual inspection on the manifold both sides. Passenger side tough to see but looked ok. So did driver side. I wasn't able to look on the bottom side.

I did note and circle in attached pic what looked and felt like cracks in the manifold on both sides above bolts but these appear to be designed that way, is that correct?

Attachments

• 20230131_075536.jpg
    20230131_075536.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 10

markni12301

Reaction score
I did a quick visual inspection on the manifold both sides. Passenger side tough to see but looked ok. So did driver side. I wasn't able to look on the bottom side.

I did note and circle in attached pic what looked and felt like cracks in the manifold on both sides above bolts but these appear to be designed that way, is that correct?
Confirmed same on all the ones I can see on my 2015 Yukon Denali 6.2.
Appears to be designed that way.

Attachments

• 20230131_100807.jpg
    20230131_100807.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 1

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They are like expansion joints in concrete. The metal expands and contracts and the little spaces allow for that....IMO.

OP
OP
NT Automotive

NT Automotive

Reaction score
They are like expansion joints in concrete. The metal expands and contracts and the little spaces allow for that....IMO.
That is what I was thinking. It kind of reminded me of multiple sets of headers (OEM & aftermarket) I had on my 2000 RT Durango 5.9 V8.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

New member. Not new to forums or cars. Happy to be here and hope to meet new friends + learn as much as possible.

My experience with GM models is limited but overall good. Mostly the 2nd gen model tahoes. After many Toyota's, Ford's, Jeeps etc. The family and I decided on a Yukon. We are loving all the space, comfort, practicality, looks and even the CD player haha. True.

We bought our 2019 Yukon SLE last week. Its exactly what we wanted minus no 4WD which is fine with us at this stage after owning many 4x4 models.

Our Yukon is a nce pepperdust exterior color on light color interior. See pics. Will take more later. Has cloth seats which we also wanted bc of desert living and wife has psoriasis (dry skin). Its perfect for us. Easy to drive too.

Odometer just under 25K miles and overall vehicle in good condition. All buttons, lights, stereo etc. work. Priced below book value. Always a southern california car. 1 owner. Clean carfax. New tires and battery. Test drove it. Ran and braked good. Very happy.

However. Unfortunately. After driving it all week getting my bearings on the "new" vehicle I noticed the engine sounds like it has lifter tick at low revs from the interior when driving around town (sounds like my late dad's 80s F350 V8 Ford did in the early 2000s) and the sound is a bit more pronounced under heavy throttle. Additionally, when stopped at a red light the engine OR trans (not sure) shudders just a little. Its fine for 5-10 seconds then tiny shudder and so on. Pretty sure shudder is engine related via lifter issue is my guess.

Apart from the shudder and lifter tick, no other noises, no lights on dash, no smoke, no knocks, and runs good. Nevertheless I'm concerned for the engine lifespan and decided since its still under warranty to drop it off at my local dealer this week.

My last 5 cars had great engines, zero issues. Feeling kinda dumb for not doing more homework on 2019s but I knew it had an active powertrain warranty, low miles etc. so I took the plunge.

Im curious to know:

1. Is 2019 is a decent model year? Its pre covid but still newer tech and solid build quality. Minus no more onstar it seems to be all there.

2. What do you guys think is wrong with my engine (lifters, plugs, fuel injectors, worn motor mount, bent push rod, combination etc)?

3. Do you think the dealer will honor the warranty repair bc there is indeed problem(s) with the powertrain? Im concerned if no diagnostic codes thrown the dealer wont touch it. Then again I dont see how no codes would be thrown given current issues.

4. How long should it take to fix 1-2 weeks, 1-2 months or 1-2 years lol? Latter funny not funny.

5. Is it ok to run premium fuel and full synthetic oil if the weight is correct?

Looking forward to getting the engine fixed, servicing a few other items like trans and rear end + give it a detail. Plus add a couple accessories and make some new pals on here. Maybe become a vendor on here too this year (more on that later). The ultimate goal will be to take the fam on a much needed roadtrip in our Yukon. Can't wait so long as it runs solid and ill do anything I can muster to make it right.

Thanks in advance for any support!!
Welcome back to the family.

Your engine is direct injected so the fuel injectors make an audible ticking noise as the engine runs. One thing you can do is take a video of the engine running from above, beside and beneath (wherever the noise is loudest) upload it to YouTube with public permissions, and link it back here. We can give it a listen and let you know what we think.

As others have said, a mild lifter tick isn't necessarily cause for concern on that engine, but a loud one would be.

OP
OP
NT Automotive

NT Automotive

Reaction score
Welcome back to the family.

Your engine is direct injected so the fuel injectors make an audible ticking noise as the engine runs. One thing you can do is take a video of the engine running from above, beside and beneath (wherever the noise is loudest) upload it to YouTube with public permissions, and link it back here. We can give it a listen and let you know what we think.

As others have said, a mild lifter tick isn't necessarily cause for concern on that engine, but a loud one would be.
Thanks. Much appreciated. When idle no lifter tick. Under light throttle its not loud but also not quiet. If its normal I might need to upgrade exhaust with some drone which I'd prefer to avoid. Honestly the tiny intermittent shudder when stop at a light is a bigger question mark. Is it trans related, related to potential lifter issue or worn out motor mounts. I will have educated answers late tomorrow or Thursday latest and will share here. Hoping for the best and if so I can service a few other things. Just got all new tires today. New battery last week. Getting there one project at a time. Tomorrow its engine time

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Much appreciated. When idle no lifter tick. Under light throttle its not loud but also not quiet. If its normal I might need to upgrade exhaust with some drone which I'd prefer to avoid. Honestly the tiny intermittent shudder when stop at a light is a bigger question mark. Is it trans related, related to potential lifter issue or worn out motor mounts. I will have educated answers late tomorrow or Thursday latest and will share here. Hoping for the best and if so I can service a few other things. Just got all new tires today. New battery last week. Getting there one project at a time. Tomorrow its engine time
I should have mentioned that. The occasional stumble at idle is the nature of the beast with these. Both of my 6.2's have always done it and my 5.3 did it before them.

And if you're not hearing the knock at idle, I question that it's a lifter at all. Could well be something else entirely. Lifters usually always make noise at idle if at all. One thing that is very common with these engines is piston slap when the engine isn't yet warmed up, under acceleration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission