New Ignition Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ignition key for my 2011 broke where it attaches to my key ring. I would like to get a new key for peace of mind and to have a spare. Will the dealer be able to get a key cut for my vehicle with my VIN? I know for my 30 year old BMW, the dealer sold me a key cut for the original ignition with my VIN and a copy of my registration. I don't really want to use the old key to cut one because it's worn out.

Also if they do provide a key per the VIN will they sell it without programming? I have a tech II and am fully capable of programming it myself without having to pay crazy dealer fees.

If not I guess I can just buy a blank online and have it cut per the old one.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the dealer will be able to cut a key using your VIN. Proof of ownership is generally required.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ignition key for my 2011 broke where it attaches to my key ring. I would like to get a new key for peace of mind and to have a spare. Will the dealer be able to get a key cut for my vehicle with my VIN? I know for my 30 year old BMW, the dealer sold me a key cut for the original ignition with my VIN and a copy of my registration. I don't really want to use the old key to cut one because it's worn out.

Also if they do provide a key per the VIN will they sell it without programming? I have a tech II and am fully capable of programming it myself without having to pay crazy dealer fees.

If not I guess I can just buy a blank online and have it cut per the old one.
If you have a Tech 2 and you have the old key, my guess is getting a key cut at a Locksmith who services car keys likely will be a lot less expensive than the dealer cutting it from your VIN.

Trippers99hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do not need a Tech2 to program the new key....You start the truck with your original then shut off insert new key start vehicle within a few seconds.
I bought mine from Local stealership (was stupid expensive)Seems like it was $30.

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a Tech 2 and you have the old key, my guess is getting a key cut at a Locksmith who services car keys likely will be a lot less expensive than the dealer cutting it from your VIN.
The old key is really worn

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to a local locksmith and get their opinion. They are the experts, and I'm confident that can get you set up at a reasonable price. You've got nothing to lose, other than the time to visit the locksmith.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a blank online for under $10, and then had it cut at Home Depot for like $3. The teeth were probably cut to be 90% identical, but it turned the ignition cylinder fine. I paired it via the instructions above, and it works fine to start the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys

Latest posts